Larry Page just trolled AppleSoft

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Aug 15, 2011.

1. aohus macrumors 68000

So lets go back a few weeks, when Google was 'attempting' to buy Nortel patents. Google bid in the amount of 'Pi'

Now we know why they didn't take it seriously, as they went up and bought the entire Motorola Mobility subdivision from Motorola.

Not sure if serious, but I think Larry Page just one upped Apple and Microsoft, by artificially 'negotiating' for Nortel patents when it knew full well in advanced that they were going to buy up Motorola's patents. In essence, did Larry Page just troll Apple and Microsoft? Seems so.

2. treestar macrumors 6502

It's actually pretty amusing and interesting.

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope. Read this.

4. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

sorry but Siegler's feelings about the issue isn't enough to make him right. The fact is that Google bid on symbolic numbers on Nortel's patents. Had they been serious about it I'm sure they would have acted appropriately and accordingly.

Who bids Pi ? Google.

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry, but he's right.

6. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I'm happy that Android has a moat to keep the patent lawyers at bay.

Could care less who trolls who. Seems that the OP likes drama and wants to start a google vs apple flamewar :rolleyes:

Only thing I care about having as many choices as possible as a consumer.

7. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

I usually like Gruber's reporting, but Gruber totally skipped out on Google's acquisition of Motorola's set top box business. Google not only paid for the patents, but at the same time gained access to millions of homes by taking over Motorola's STB infrastructure. Right now, my cable set top box is made by Motorola. My SB6120 cable modem is made by Motorola. Google just paid handsomely for this access. There is no doubt that the mobile war will eventually spill out onto the living room, with Google and Apple battling it over which platform will reign supreme in the living room.

As for the fear mongering thats been going on about Motorola being given preferential treatment. This is hogwash. Right now, Samsung shares are up almost 4%, LG is up, HTC, and so is Foxconn by 14%, the key component maker for Motorola.

http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2011/08/15/android-makers-in-asia-rise-on-google-motorola-deal/

There is so much more to this deal than just purely patents. This guarantees Google in the mobile market space, now armed with 17,000 patents from the original pioneers in the mobile industry, Motorola.