Laser etched MBPs.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheFinale, Oct 6, 2008.

1. TheFinale macrumors newbie

Ok, Iam thinking of getting my mbp laser etched. Was amazed by pictures of them on the internet. Beautiful ! Nowadays there're many mbp in the streets and it's kinda cool if mine stands out with a nice picture etched onto it. You know, think different ? Haha.

Anyway, what are the repercussion of having it laser etched ? Would it void the warranty or something and how much would it roughly cost? I mean Ipods can have it etched and the warranty still stands. What's are you guys take on it ?

[​IMG]

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Having it etched will void your warranty... but it looks sweet as hell

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

having it etched will also lower the resale value to the masses....

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

If the etch is personal, value will drop, if its a well known image, then value could go up.

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

not that sure

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Never been able to get a definite answer from Apple regarding warranty on laser etched notebooks. AFAIK all the writing on the underside is laser etched, so why would laser etching void the warranty? No idea. I don't think it would damage the integrity of the aluminium.

7. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Well.. it is an unauthorised modification. By the way the only thing they could void on your warranty would be any problems with the casing, any internal problems would be OK.

8. mrvegasrx7 macrumors newbie

I painted my macbook pro black, completely, as in every aluminum piece. I had to take it to the apple store for repair after my logic board had issues, the warrantee was still good.

Also if you're worried about the resale value or warranty, and you are only etching the top panel, you can always buy a new panel and put it on if you want to sell or take in for warranty. I think that panel is around $50.

9. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

Just out of curiosity, may we se a picture of your Macbook Pro painted Black? :rolleyes:

10. wesrk macrumors 6502a

+1

I bet it looks sweet.

11. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

And another +1.

Wanna see this.

12. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

+1,000,000.

Let's see it.

13. mrvegasrx7 macrumors newbie

Ok Here are some pics, although none of these do it justice. The camera was actin up on me and these are the only pictures i ever took of the mac. Just a little background, the mac was painted for over a year, so there was some wear and tear. Paint definitely dose not hold up as well as the aluminum. These pics were taken after i received it back from apple, who replaced the logic board and i/o board, and it was damaged by DHL during shipping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with a blue mac logo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ultimately Apple ended up replacing every single exterior piece back to silver after it was damaged. They have a contract with DHL for damages. I then sold it in anticipation for the new ones speculated to come out soon.

14. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Does anyone know if laser etching can be fixed in terms of a simple type-o?
    I just need an 8 turned into a 7.
    Thanks

15. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

It cannot be done unless you blank the part out by lasering over it and redoing the text on another spot. If it is a typo by the laser etching shop, than I would ask them to pay for the cost of replacing your casing..

16. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I wish, the mistake was my oversight. Its an important engraving too....wonder if it would be cheap to order another casing for it or too expensive?