laser printer buying advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by G0meZ, Sep 7, 2011.

1. G0meZ macrumors regular

I need to get a new laserprinter, just average, A4, black&white, dbl-sided printing...
    any recommendations for good websites that do reliable reviews?
    any opinions on devices, brands, anything helpful in general...
    thank you.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've had very good experiences with Brother laser printers fwiw.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Hewlett Packard is the godfather of laser printing. Getting a midrange printer from them will give you a printer that you'll still own in 10 - 15 years. I've also had good results with Epson, Dell, Canon and Samsung. Brother hasn't worked out so well for me but I believe they've made some improvements in their quality since I owned one.

Still, I'd get a midrange HP. You'll never regret it.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Will this be a central office printer with a high duty cycle each month? That would effect greatly which printer to buy.

As far as brands go I would stick with an HP. I bought a used Laserjet 4050N from an office. It is around 8 years old with over 300,000 pages printed and works like it is brand new.

For reviews I like to go to Newegg.com and read the actual customer reviews. So that I can hear what someone who used it in the real world thinks. Not something cherry picked by the factory for a reviewer that has ten other printers lined up on a table that they are quickly going over with a checklist and running a set of sample prints on.

5. G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

thank yall.
    its for light to medium office use.
    we had some cheap brother (hl-5170, 5270) and they all died within 3 yrs.
    i used to think HP is a fairly safe bet, but now that they get rid of their entire PC branch...what about the printer business?

6. wordsworth macrumors regular

I can confirm others' good experience with HP. I bought a low-end LaserJet 1300 mono printer a few years back and it was a real workhorse. I produced a semi-pro fanzine using it and it churned out the pages valiantly. Lots of photos, text intensive too, and the quality was very impressive. I say 'was' but I still have it and use it whenever I need to. Not doing the fanzine these days but I get the impression that the machine will simply run and run …

(As a result of the fanzine era, I also have an impressive collection of staplers!)

7. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I have had different luck with my HP laser printers. Two color laser printers have died (one was a CP3505, don't recall the other one), one during the warranty period and the other after. The first had a design flaw that the electronic contacts that engage when the toner cartridge is inserted were flawed and caused a short that wiped out the electronics of the printer. The other one's ethernet port died shortly out of warranty.

We also have an AIO b&w laser from HP and the hardware is okay, but the included software is the worst.

I've sworn off HP from now on. Not sure who I'll go to next. Perhaps Brother.