laser printer not to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by confux, Nov 13, 2011.

1. confux macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a small office color laser printer or multifunction color laser printer under 500€. I use imac with Lion 10.7. Which laser printer not to buy?http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gifI usually print in B/W , and sometimes with color text, not photo. thankshttp://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/blackapple.gif

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Samsung apparently has poor support for Mac. I've found that Canon appear to be most Mac 'friendly'.

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yeah I trust Canon. You won't be disappoint with Canon. :)

4. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Brother has excellent OS X support. They usually have new drivers within a couple weeks of a major OS update, and they keep them updated. Feature support on their multifunction models is excellent as well. No real gotchas in terms of "only PCs can do this" for the major features.

The hardware is reliable. The only knock is their output might be considered good, not great.

5. MacProDude macrumors member

I have to say, I was extremely surprised by Brother's excellent OS X driver/software support. I have an MFC model.

TheIntruder called this spade a spade w/rt reliability and quality.

6. confux thread starter macrumors newbie

The hardware is reliable. The only knock is their output might be considered good, not great.[/QUOTE]

what does it's means good and not great?
    I will print b/w documents or color documents, only sometimes photos.
    what about Oki that have three years warranty. For my it's very important that the print have a good drive for os10.7.
    thanks all of us.

7. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

It means that the print quality is not best in class.

For example, with the b/w lasers, the text quality is very good, but the graphics quality is mediocre. Printing demanding graphics with subtle shades or gradients might show banding, or solid fields of black might not be completely uniform. Things of that nature. It might be fine for business graphics, but artists should consider other options.

I have no experience with their color lasers. Their inkjets are bettered by Canon and HP.

Personally, I consider home photo printing an expensive and losing proposition. Papers and inks are costly, and the latter have limited shelf life. Color lasers have more stable pigments, but I don't believe their photo output quite matches those from inkjets.

I seldom print photos, but when I do, I use a service that has professional equipment, like Costco (though that may not be an option where you reside in the EU).

You'll have to consider what your printing needs really are; the type and quality of output you desire will determine the best choice.

I'm not familiar with Oki's Mac support; the one thing I'm certain of is that Brother is among the best, if not the leader, in that respect.