Laser Printer Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Simple Living, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Simple Living macrumors member

I have an iMac OS X 10.5.8 and now I need a printer. It's just for light, personal use for occasional printing. I've been doing some research but sorting out the reviews gets confusing when someone raves about something and another says it stinks. And all the reviews/conversations I find online are older.

Here's what I know I'm looking for: Small, b&w, personal laser printer. If I can find one for under $100 all the better because it won't get much use and I'm only working part-time. The most advanced thing I would want (but not need) it to do is print on 3x5 or 4x6 index cards. If it can't I'm fine with regular size paper. Wireless and Networking aren't necessary but I wouldn't NOT buy it if it had wireless capabilities.

What do you recommend? The best I could find is the Brother HL-2170W at Amazon but it's $134.99.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try the Brother HL-2140. $70 on amazon.... very sturdy printer.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

4. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Miles. I saw this model of the Brother printer, too and looked at reviews on different websites. The most common problems people had were:

1) Paper Jams
    2) Toner cartridge construction makes refills difficult so you have to buy new ones.
    3) It cycles on and off periodically, and noisily, when it's not in use but left on. (That's resolved, naturally, by only turning it on when you need it.)

My concern with this model would be the paper jams. Any personal experience with it? Also, it ships from TigerDirect and I've heard their customer service (should you need it) is horrible.

5. showtime macrumors 6502

Agree. The brother HL-2140 is an excellent printer and very affordable. I think I picked mine up for $30 on sale a little over a year ago and it's been going strong.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...every printer paper jams. I've used Brother printers for the better part of 10 years and paper jams have been minimal. I've never had a paper jam with the HL-2140 nor the wireless Brother printer I have now (MFC something, can't remember at the moment).

7. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Miles and Showtime. I've heard a lot more good than bad so I'll likely go with this printer. Now to do some research on TigerDirect before ordering from them. Sadly, I have the misfortune of receiving lemons whenever I purchase something online. If anyone has any recommendations for reputable dealers, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks again.

8. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Another question: I compared the specs between the models 2140 and 2170. They're identical (except that the 2170 is wireless/network capable) and in one other thing I don't understand.

Under "Total Ink Tanks/Cartridge," the 2170 says, "Toner Cartridge and Drum Unit Included. The 2140 says, "1 Black Cartridge Included."

Does this basically mean the same thing or is there a difference between a "toner cartridge" and a "black cartridge"? And would I have to buy a drum unit for the 2140?

9. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I've had the 2140 jam on me. It's become unusable after ~2 years. While it worked the printer was fast, and printed documents were clear. The best thing about it is the really cheap price.

10. djkny macrumors 6502

Try to find a used HP 1012. Best laser on a budget, compact, small thumbprint. On Amazon, these used workhorses still go for $160+.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

We have had a Samsung ML-2010 that we purchased for ~$50 from Staples 3 years ago or so. No problems with it so far, it just spits out thousands of pages without a hassle. Staples often has these kind of deals in store, so it might be worth checking there where returns would be less of a hassle.

Note that most cheap lasers will include a 'budget' toner in the box that is 1/2 or less of a replacement toner. Compare the replacement costs of the toner of any printers you look at - that is where the real cost lies.