Laser printer suggestions, please

JPS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
I'm looking for a laser printer (preferably monochrome/color, though I would also consider straight monochrome) that can work wirelessly through Airport Express, and costs between $100-150.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

steve217

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
NC
I have a Brother HL-2270DW that works wirelessly through an Airport Extreme.

Extreme or Express, it should have the same wireless connection ability. The printer just connects to the router like any other WiFi enabled device.

If you're interested, it's on sale at Newegg for $89.

I think it's a fine printer that prints duplex and the toner cartridges are fairly cheap.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
...and costs between $100-150.
That price range could be a bit tight for a color laser printer, but you can find one on sale if you look around.

I've seen a Samsung Color Laser printer at CDW and other online stores for about $160. A third party Amazon seller has it for about $120 right now.

Certainly a grayscale laser printer is going to be more affordable. I've even seen a Dell at WalMart for $88.

If the laser printer has wifi built in, that would certainly work. If it's USB only, you can connect it to the Airport for wireless printing. Same for ethernet.

Whichever printer you get, make sure you price out supplies as well. Laser supplies can really be expensive (the Samsung printer I mentioned is over $200 for color+black toner).

JPS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
I ended up ordering the HP LaserJet Pro P1606dn Printer from Amazon. It's monochrome and seems to have all the features I want. Not too pricey, either.

Thanks for the suggestions!

FuriousGreg

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
Samsung makes a good product, or at least thats been my experience. I have a ML-2010 (B&W) I got 5 years ago for around $100 and it's still running great. I've changed the toner a couple of times, it comes with one that prints 1250 and the regular cartridges print 2500+- for around $25

Last edited:

XR7CAT

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
North Dakota
I purchased HP LaserJet Pro 100 Color MFP M175nw, the image quality is great and has Ethernet and WiFi.

Was only about $200 when I bought it.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
have had a cheap brother b/w laser for the last several years, wifi, cost <$100, fast, dirt cheap on consumables

best printer i've ever had.