Laser Printer Suggestions that work with AirPort

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacAlpha, Feb 16, 2009.

1. MacAlpha macrumors regular

I am looking for suggestions for a good laser printer that someone can confirm will work flawlessly with an Airport Express. Having made the jump from the Windows world, I have a large Canon Multifunction that I used, but Canon does not make MacOS drivers for, which makes me a bit pissed at Canon but I would be willing to purchase another. I also have a high quality Epson photo printer which works with my Mac but printing word documents (I am a lawyer so I print a lot of long legal documents to read), is really expensive on the photo printer.

I started looking on the Apple website thinking that would be the best place to find printers that would work with Apple computers, but they have cheaper inkjets and then what seem to be commercial grade laser printers

Here are the features that I was looking for:
    - small footprint
    - duplex printing is a plus but not a requirement
    - works flawlessly with AirPort (I have had a lot of experience with network printing in the windows world and it never seems to work as advertised)
    - reasonably quick
    - black and white printing only
    - cheap to operate

Thanks in advance!

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

An excellent machine is the Brother HL-2170W. It is a small, high quality monochrome laser that has USB, ethernet and WiFi connectivity. You can find it in many places for under $100. I can't tell you specifically about the Express, but I have seen the HL-2170W being used very successfully with Macbooks through wireless-G routers.

3. MacAlpha thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at both the HL-2170W and the HL-5250DN, so it is good to know that other people have had success with using Brother with their Macs.

4. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

What impressed and surprised me about the 2170W is its high quality grayscale photo printing, which shows the quality of its print engine.

5. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Or, if you want the best laser buy right now, pound-for-pound, you can get the 75 lb Brother monster, the HL-4040CDN, a color laser with autoduplexing and ethernet, for $189 at Newegg... :)

6. MacAlpha thread starter macrumors regular

Great suggestion, though I am not sure if buying selecting a printer using a dollars per pound metric is the best idea... ;)

7. cardjoseph macrumors member

agree with the brother suggestions

I have had excellent experience with Brother printers in wired and wireless configurations. I use to have a Brothers HL-2070 I picked up at Staples for 90 dollars in 2007 (I've upgraded last fall to a new Brother printer - color/b&w printer with copy and scanning functions - works with no problems over my wireless network). Good laser printers and if you are doing just b&w printing, it should be pretty inexpensive.

8. MacAlpha thread starter macrumors regular

Ended up picking up a Brother HL-5250DN from Staples. Got a great (better than advertised) deal. It works perfectly. Printing quality is excellent, duplex works perfectly. Seems well built. Only complaint is it is a bit noisy when printing, but very quickly goes back to silent very quickly once the print job was finished.

Also, it was a snap to set up on the network.