Laser Printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AcesHighSays, Jan 22, 2012.

1. AcesHighSays macrumors newbie

Hello,

I run Snow Leopard on my MacBookPro, and am in the market for a laser all in one (printer, scanner, copier) that can print wirelessly. I need it to print resumes and emails, nothing else. Would be nice if it could print from my iPhone directly but it's not mandatory.

Does anyone know...
    1. Does the printer have to be wifi or wireless, or can I connect the printer to my router via ethernet so that it becomes wireless??

2. Is any current printer compatible or does it have to say that it supports macs? I tried connecting my 8 year old all in one HP printer but my mac couldn't connect to it - which is why I am buying a new printer.

3. Can anyone recommend a printer?

Thank you in advance,
    AHS

2. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

1. You can do it either way, I know most printers nowadays have built in wifi.

2. Any newer printer should be Mac compatible

3. I'd recommend a brother laser printer, I bought one a little over a year and I love it, although it is not an all in one. It does have wifi built in but I just use USB, one thing I love though is that it will do automatic double sided printing.

This one seems to have everything you want including wifi http://www.staples.com/Brother-MFC7860DW-Laser-Multi-Function-Printer/product_918237_HC2

If you want to be able to print from your iPhone you can download an app for your mac called Printopia http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I have been using a LaserJet 1536dnf from HP and it works excellently for me. It has ethernet and USB connectivity. It is connected to my local network via a Time Machine through ethernet. All my iDevices can print to it with the newest firmware.

4. interrobang macrumors 6502

I have a Brother color laser (LED, technically, same deal) printer with ethernet and USB ports. I have it attached via ethernet to my Linksys wired/wireless router, and I can print to it wirelessly from my Snow Leopard machine without difficulty. Mine is not a scanner or copier, though

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I have one of the Brother all-in-one units that prints, scans, copies, and faxes. Works great using the built-in WiFi adapter or plugged into my router. Haven't run out of toner after ~1000 pages.

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Another vote for Brother. Worked just as perfectly in Snow Leopard as it does in Lion.

7. rockden macrumors newbie

i thinkhp laser printer 3 in 1 is best printer and nice quility are 3 option and i have 2 year experience use it and if you tense connectivity problem to much concern network engineer some taking a guideline.

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I have a 5-6 year old black and white all-in-one HP laser printer / scanner / fax /etc. that is connected via ethernet to my network that all my computers print to. What is really funny to me, is that HP dropped support for items such as the scanner with Windows 7, but yet on my Macs it continues to work (even in Lion). Seems weird to me that the Mac side has better compatibility.

You really can't come to a forum like this, and ask what to get because most consumers will only have experience with a handful of devices and generally will recommend what they have (unless it is a POS) because they really don't "know better". I would really recommend hitting up retailers with rating systems (i.e Newegg) and websites like CNET that specialize in reviewing lots of devices to find what is your best bang for your buck.