Laser projector and iPhone on Airplane

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by railgrab, Jun 6, 2010.

1. railgrab macrumors newbie

Yesterday, I had a great viewing experience on the seat tray of my airplane seat. It was a day flight and no problem projecting "Lost" out of my iPhone 3GS connected to a ShowWX laser pico projector. Here's the Youtube vid...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HeWgQqYDso

2. Resist macrumors 68030

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

4. Resist macrumors 68030

$550, are you freaking kidding me?!!!! Way to expensive.

5. railgrab thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps it's too expensive for the masses, but consider that this video is only one of many applications for the projector and the price WILL come down substantially. Here's another video I made which shows the projector producing a vibrant image of over 8 feet. Be sure to click on the HD version to watch it in its full glory. I also have 60" and 14 feet projections on Youtube if you search for them...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypZO6_7hcNQ

6. Resist macrumors 68030

I will admit the picture looks great. But yes the price must come down drastically. I can't tell from your videos, is it bright enough? I ask because most video projectors are not very bright in my opinion, certainly nothing like my DLP TV.

What would be interesting is using the projector for a computer, for flight simulation games. I could even see using it in place of a computer monitor, on a wall to get any size monitor you want.

So what kind of a life span does this product have?

7. railgrab thread starter macrumors newbie

It's certainly bright enough in a darkened room, but it will never replace your larger projectors. But then again, how often would you hook up a mobile device like your iPhone to a large projector? This is a totally portable system which fits in the palm of your hand. Bigger news is on the horizon, as Microvision just unveiled its new projector module which is HD AND 50% more lumens. I don't know the life expectancy of the projector, but it's a really long time. Also, in response to your flight sim idea, have you seen my immersive gaming demo which was featured on Engadget a couple weeks ago (using ShowWX and iPhone 3GS)? In that Youtube video, I turn a room into a 360 degree environment using a game which incorporates the phone's compass and accelerometers. BTW, I'm having a ton of fun playing with this projector, but I am not an employee or partner with Microvision. I do own some common stock, though.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

HD would be great, but 50% more lumens only makes it 15 lumens, which is still not that bright.

9. oysteins macrumors newbie

How do Steve Jobs do it?

Do you know what kind of equipment Steve Jobs uses when he do his onscreen presentations from his iPhone, e.g. iAd?

10. railgrab thread starter macrumors newbie

One nice thing about this projector is it's 1:1 throw distance, much less than many other projectors. This means that you get a 30" diagonal projection when the projector is 30" away from the screen. It also means that you need far less lumens than a comparable projector which would need to be 2x as far away from the screen.

11. Resist macrumors 68030

Well I do like the idea of laser auto focusing. This product is really starting to get my interest now. If it weren't for the high price, I would probably buy one.

12. Resist macrumors 68030

After much consideration I am really starting to like this projector and now may just buy one. I believe this technology will become standard in smart phones, and I can't wait for it to come to the iPhone.