Lasik

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7on, Jun 24, 2008.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Why do all the LASIK centers market themselves like they're selling a car or fast food? The reason I ask is I'm researching LASIK options and I really want a great option. Hearing jingles on the radio or seeing billboards on the highway does not enforce the credibility of the institute in my opinion. Because of that it's been really hard shopping around for a great facility. I could care less if they were offering "affordable" options either, these are my eyes for pete's sake!

Anyway, how does one go about looking for credible and top-notch facilities? How do you decide which one to go with?

I live in the Kansas City area if anyone knows and can recommend a doc here.

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I've never been to Kansas City, but my first guess would be to check out UKMC; usually, university medical centers tend to have high volume and higher quality doctors. That said, you can find records for doctors, and sometimes even reviews, online, but usually for a fee.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

talk to your optometrist about them. That's what I did. I like and trust my optometrist. now, granted, they got a good chunk of the money I paid for mine (the price included 6 months of aftercare with my optometrist, including appointments the next day, next week, at one month, three months and 6 months), but I was ok with that since I trusted my optometrist to do business with a reputable company they felt confident about.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

One of my close friends said that even 2 years after doing it, he still can't honestly recommend it. Although other friends did.

It depends on how dry your eyes are after the operation, and if you get the halo effect with lights.

I've been thinking about it for a while, but for the time being I decided I can live with contacts. :D

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I only know 2 people who've had their eyes zapped and they were both happy with it. Until recently I was really considering getting it done myself, but I stupidly watched it done on TV and also bought some proper specs for once.
    And my girlfriend prefers guys with specs. Go figure :p

And 7on that isn't a direct translation in your sig ;) but it's close enough I suppose!

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I had my eyes fixed, but not through lasik, i had PRK. It's similar, but not the same. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

I would be wary of places that offer things like $1000 discount on each eye. The best way is through research, visit the places, ask questions, find out what you get for your money, find out how many of the surgeries they do. Ask them what guarantees they offer, ie. will they fix it if your eyes revert back.

They are your eyes, make sure you know what you are getting and make sure that you feel comfortable with the place you choose.

7. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Oh I know, try saying it out loud ;) then you should get it

8. idyll macrumors 6502

I've been considering it.. Need new glasses + get my eyes checked, and it seems like it will run me around $400 :eek: for the pair I want.

How much is LASIK?

In middle school I got to watch it done in person, I felt pretty sick to my stomach.

9. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

My dad had laser surgery waay back when it was still experimental, lol. He said it was VERY painful. They did one eye at a time and he was stuck in bed with the shades closed for 2 days after each eye. This was maybe 15+ years ago. Thankfully, everything worked out great and he's still good to go!

Personally, I keep telling myself I'll eventually get Lasik, but I'm still not sure. I have to see if my insurance covers anything, but I kinda doubt it. For now, I make my 1 month contacts last... a bit longer than 1 month, and still wear my glasses here and there. Makes me look smart and I tend to get some compliments on them!

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

about 1500 a eye or so I believe for the surgery. Could be as high as 2k an eye.

11. Motley macrumors 6502

Or $500 in India where the GF wants me to get it done while we are vacationing there. I am, hesitant.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

word of advise. When it is well below the average always question the quality. It is your eyes you are messing with. Something that will be lasting you 40+ more years

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I've been looking into this a little bit and the only thing stopping me is the fact they have to take a scalpel to your eye no matter what. Im not squeamish but scalpels and eyes dont mix in my view. And being forced to stare at the scalpel as it does its job aint my cup of tea either. :eek:

As far as I under stand it and in very basic terms. They zap your eye to create a flap of 'skin', then they peel back that flap using a scalpel, then do the actual corrective zapping then put the flap back. I'd feel more comfortable if they used a spoon or spatula instead of a scalpel. One slight wrong movement and its lights out :D

14. idyll macrumors 6502

$1500 per eye huh, ouch!

Guess I'll stick with my $400 glasses/checkup

15. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You should be hesitant because you want your doctor close enough for the followups and to address any issues you might encounter. These are your eyes, find someone you can easily contact with questions before and after.

Keep in mind the reason he is getting this cheaper is because it is in India. So the price is cheaper than the US/UK, but most likely the same quality. But you are 100% correct.

16. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I went to one of the places that advertises on the radio and had a very bad experience. It was like an assembly line. The best advice I can offer is avoid anyone that gives the impression that they want to herd as many patients through their facility as they can.

I know it's a generalization but I would now never recommend that everyone avoid anyone that has ads like that on the radio.

Instead, find the quiet, respected professional who does quite well because he's know by his peers to be an excellent eye surgeon. You'll never hear this person running an ad on the radio but they're the ones that the eye surgeons in your area would go to if they needed it done.

17. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

After seeing the videos of this on youtube... I can't say I would ever consider it. I'm just creeped out about having anything touch my eye, let alone cut into it.

I think the potential for complications has greatly decreased with recent advances, primarily the decline of the microkeratome knife's usage. I think they're using a laser to create the corneal flap now, as well as performing the corneal ablation. Something about a knife sliding across my eyeball just doesn't sit right with me. There are a lot of informative videos on youtube, but they're kind of scary as well.

I'd have to stick with glasses or contacts.

18. Motley macrumors 6502

Like I said I'm pretty hesitant, but the GF is insistent that everything will be fine (she's from India).

The Pros:
    -It's the best hospital in India
    -The doctors are all US taught
    -The equipment is all up to date
    -It's cheap

The Cons:
    -It's my eyes, I need those to see.
    -Long term follow up (I'll be in India for 3.5 weeks, so I could go in for follow ups while there)
    -It's a vacation I want to relax
    -Did I mention It's my eyes!:eek:

19. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Follow-up exams are generally scheduled the next day, 30, 90, and 360 days later. In a few cases after complete healing, focussing my miss the retina, producing less than optimal vision. With a local doctor, a minor adjustment can be made up to a year from the initial procedure.

20. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

This is why I don't plan to get it. I am fine with contacts if I am tired of glasses thank you. :cool: