Last Apple PC was an iBook G4... is it time to upgrade?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dalius, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Dalius macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm interested in getting the new MacBook, the higher end model, with the RAM maxed out. I'll be using the laptop for school notes, but I also do light photo manipulation and web design (HTML, CSS and JS).. Currently I do all of this on my desktop but I am looking for a portable position.

I went to see the new laptops at the Apple Store for myself and they seem pretty awesome. I'm just had a few questions I was hoping people who bought these new aluminum MacBooks already!

1) Anyone with the current MB (or even older ones) who use it for a lot of web design work (coding & light photo work)? Can you share your general experiences... screen too small? Wish you went with the MBP, or is the MB fine for your needs?

2) Are the keyboards on the new MB and MBPro the same size? The only difference seems to be the extra space at the sides, from the bigger laptop screen size.

Thanks in advanced... these answers could convince me to buy my first Apple computer in years this week! ;)

2. Aniki macrumors regular

1) It's decent, but not even an inch close to the macbook pro. You may need more space, etc. I have a regular, but I used a macbook pro, and trust me, you'd be MUCH more happy with the base model. Which is $1899 for the student discount, if anyone or you in your family works for a school, staff member, pta, etc. Or if your in college.

2) No, but VERY VERY VERY close. their like 0.01 of a centimeter apart. SLIGHTLY bigger for pro. but doesn't matter at all =D

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

1.) My previous generation MacBook is fine for most of the things you've stated (new video card should help the current models), and I do use my external LCD screen when working with foreign languages for work (dictionary and document need to be open at the same time at a large size), but for normal stuff the MacBook screen is fine. To be completely honest, the only reason I would have rather went with the Pro is because of the looks, but they look the same now anyway.

2.) They aren't exactly the same, Pro's is slightly larger.

4. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

I say upgrade. The new ones will last you and are going to be the best quality for notebooks for the next year with the uni-body design.

5. Dalius thread starter macrumors newbie

With all the problems being posted here by early adopters this week and the last, I'm starting to have second thoughts... I'm wondering if it's worth it to get the old 15" MBP, just for the non-glossy display and older revision status... The thing about 15" is that it is kind of big for my needs, I would think... new high-end MB or last-gen, base model 15" MBP.... pretty much on par on price, yet quite different features wise....

Anyone ideas? Opinions are greatly appreciated in this case! I realize everyone has an opinion, so come on, let's hear it! :D

6. Adamo macrumors 6502

With Spaces I find there's enough room for most things, I use one screen for internet browser, one for MSN and Transmission, another for iTunes and another for iPhone/Photoshop. Works out well.

7. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I would say go for it. I am the one who has been having issues with the battery latch and posted a video of it on YouTube. However, that didn't make me think if I should buy an older product.

If you look at any product; lets say Sony Vaio (for the sakes of argument) - they are bound to have problems with their product lines. Small glitches, bad product batches exist and only those who have problems post. Lets face it, if your notebook is running fine - your not as likely to post on a forum. Go to Sony's forums and take a look at the problems which are occurring with any product. I've got a Nokia 6300 phone, some reviews are bad and some are good. Personally, I love it as it works for me and no problems on my end. However, for some - they received faulty phones, battery heating issues, disconnection issues.

Overall, I would say go for it. Apple customer service is really good should anything go wrong. Example: they sent me a free iPod shuffle and a £50 gift voucher for their website being misleading on the launch of their new consumer Macbooks.

My 2 cents worth.

8. Moks macrumors member

My current mac is also an iBook G4, & I would have upgraded to the new model if it had Firewire. Have instead just gone for a refurb last gen 2.4 GHz Whitebook. :D

I find my G4 is a bit slow running Photoshop Elements, Handbraking etc, otherwise it has served well for 4+ years. If the firewire hadn't died on me I would probably have stuck with it for a while longer.

9. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

What was missleading?

10. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

The backlit keyboard thing on the macbook 2.0's, when really it was only for the 2.4 model.