"Last day sale" Navigon AG-iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by megapopular, Aug 31, 2009.

1. megapopular macrumors 6502a

I've personally been pleased with this GPS app, and so have lots of other people, so if you've been sitting on the fence, the price supposedly is going up to $99.99 after today. If price is a deciding factor, make your move now! But, you never know, they may extend the discount again.

Also, the 1.2 update which adds text to speech, iPod integration, POI upgrades and automatic day/night screen transition has been submitted to Apple for approval since August 23rd, so expect that any day now barring a rejection. Best luck!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

To add the the praise of Navigon, I believe it is compatible with the Tom Tom dock... which is a huge plus.

4. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

D'oh! I blew about $150 on CDs, and now I don't have enough for the Navigon app. Let's hope they extend the sale price.

5. kelpi macrumors regular

kelpi

Whew! Just purchased after reading all the reviews, viewing all the demos, and switching to an alternate payment option for protection; AMEX just in case.

It's downloading now. Hopefully it lives up to it expectations and I made the right decision between TomTom and this one.

6. phantom5251 macrumors 6502

phantom5251

Well, unless they're in the process of updating things, it's still listed as $69.99.

7. Rayfire macrumors 68030

Rayfire

I have a feeling it's gonna stay at USD $69.99 :cool: :p

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Agreed, they also removed the whole sale ends August 31st thing. As it is they are doing much better than TomTom so if they stay at 69.99 overall they should still bring in about the same

9. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

They do still have the sale price listed till Aug 31st online.
    http://www.navigon.com/site/us/en/mobile_navigator/iphone

10. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

To my way of thinking, that would be the best marketing decision. Navigon needs to keep the pressure on TomTom, and they're doing that by not only adding new features (come on Apple, let's get that approved already), but by keeping the price lower. It makes TomTom look overpriced for what they're providing.

I also noted that the "sale price" language has been removed from the AppStore description. That's great!

:cool:

--DotComCTO

11. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I downloaded this program Sunday, finally, and I am enjoying it enough that my OnStar TBT will be eliminated when it expires this fall. I love having a full GPS in my pocket and not tied to any given car. Used it today on the freeway and loved the little static image that shows what lane to be in for your exit. My only gripes are what I've read here... text too light to read well and the woman'ss voice is atrocious! I can't stand listening to her!!! Wish we could change those two things.

12. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I agree on the text, although I don't need it and have street names turned off. Looking at a street name while driving in Chicago traffic could be disastrous!

Funny though on the voice, its fine and does not bother me at all. Sure it would be nice if they offered the option of others, but I would rather they focus on value added features like TTS instead of nice to have like alternative voices.

13. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

14. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I went ahead and purchased it Sunday because I wasn't sure if the price would continue. I wish they had made it clear that it would be extended before I bought it, because I really don't need it right now. Anyways, I'm happy with it. My only gripe at this point is that the screen dims and even goes black while it's in use, although it only seems to happen when I'm not moving. I have it plugged into a dock adaptor that also charges it.

I realize this is most likely a hardware only problem, but I do have a difficult time getting GPS reception. 2 of the 3 miles home from work yesterday had no reception. This is extremely frustrating, regardless of where the fault lies.

15. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

the UI needs more clear street names like iGo and TomTom, and you need the ability to zoom in closer in the 3D view. Other than that, its good.

16. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Haha, I'm so glad I didn't rush out and buy it yesterday!! I had a suspicion the price would remain as is. More pressure on tom tom. I just really hope tomtom reduces the price soon!

I don't really have any urgency for TBT so I'm kinda waiting it out to see what all develops in the race and see what they have to offer. I'm really, really hoping that apple makes certain allowances for TBT like in-call navigation. This would really be one of the major factors leading me to make the plunge!

17. Firewolve macrumors member

That's a new sale.
    Europe version (which was $99 until Aug 31) is now $149, but regional versions (UK or Germany/Austra/Switzerland for example) are on sale from Sep 1 to Sep 30.

18. iCAR macrumors member

19. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

I see what Navigon did there. $10 cheaper. Genius marketing decision. :rolleyes:

If they would have kept it at $69, they would sell many more. It's the .99 app mentality. The app store is all about volume.

My co-worker (who has an iPhone) saw Navigon yesterday while we were driving to a meeting. She was amazed...asked me how much it was. I said "bout a hundred bucks." She said "yeah, right, that's a ripoff." Then I said nah, just kidding. Was $69. She then downloaded it last night.

I know $89 is only $20 more than $69 and $10 less than TomTom, but price carries a heavy pschylogical tag in the app store.

I'm no developer, but if I was, I'd take the Costco approach. Low price, high volume, baby.

Regardless, Navigon is worth it, but the deal is much sweeter at $69.

20. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure Navigon has done some cost analysis. My guess is they are making very little at $69 due to the cost of the map data. I really don't see how competition is going to drive prices much lower given the map data costs are pretty fixed.

21. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Well, I bought it Saturday, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Well, when it gets TTS and the rest, I'll be happier, and when/if it gets traffic, I'll be ecstatic! :p

But, it works just fine the way it is, and I'm happy to have a device that does it all, and having the iPod fade down for the instructions is good. Not perfect, especially during a podcast, but it's better than the iPod and the GPS fighting to be heard.

I have been using a 3 year old Magellan Roadmate, which was fine for what it was, but I needed something more, and since I wasn't going to pay to update the map on such a basic system, this was it.

I'm happy to say that the voice doesn't bother me. I really listened, since I'd read about it so much. but nope.

22. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

This is strange. Looking at the application page it still says $69

Attached Files:

23. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

Just checked and my iTunes has $89.99. Glad I bought it just over a week ago!

Attached Files:

24. severe macrumors 6502a

Congrats.

I have similar feelings.