Last edited by.... (version comparison feature)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Can't say I'm a big fan of this feature. Theoretically it could be useful in PRSI when somebody tries to deny that they ever said something, but beyond that...

Do I really want every instance where I corrected a misspelling, replaced an adjective with a better one, or moved a few words around, on record?

Even in PRSI I don't really see the point. People there have fast eyes and long memories, so it really isn't likely you can get away with deleting your words and then denying you ever said them, unless you really did it immediately. And that, I think, can be forgiven. We've all written something a little rash and then immediately changed or deleted it.

2. rdowns, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can everyone see that or only the post creator?

test edit

EDIT: I only see a link to compare versions on MY posts. There is no link on others.

3. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Same. Don't think you have anything to worry about.

Attached Files:

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Right, only us mods and admins can see other people's edits. It wouldn't be very help if anyone could see edit versions. We all have moments where we speak before we think, and there's no need for others to see big the foot was in our mouth.

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, kinda what I was getting at.

And I see that only the person posting it can see it. I was puzzled when I returned to a thread where both I and somebody else had edited our posts, to see that only mine had that "version" link. Now I know why.

In that case, I guess it's not such a bad feature. I'm not sure what I'd use it for, but it doesn't bother me.