last.fm over airtunes??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cparkphoto, Mar 3, 2008.

1. cparkphoto macrumors member

So Ive become addicted to last.fm ever since i discovered the mobile scrobbler app for my iphone. Now that im addicted i need to get my fix while in other rooms. Anybody know if there is a way to stream last.fm over airtunes in OSX? running a mbp on 10.5.2 airport extreme and airport express hooked into home stereo system. Thanks for the help!!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Airfoil might be able to do it, don't have any personal experience but the description seems like just the ticket.

3. cparkphoto thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! just came across airfoil after posting this. Works perfectly!!! However its 25 bucks once the trial is over so if anybody else has a suggestion please let me know! Otherwise airfoil is definitely worth the 25 bucks so far.

4. wooo macrumors member

Well, for $20 you can do the same thing with ooTunes (though in a slightly different way). ooTunes is a full fledged media streamer so you can also use it to listen/watch your music/videos away from home or even on your iPhone.

I just added the ability to listen to streams (including last.fm) through iTunes and thus Airtunes. See: http://ootunes.blogspot.com/2008/10/ootunes-internet-radio-lastfm-and.html

5. Zw42a macrumors member

I bought Airfoil more than a year ago and it's really worth it. I used it to watch movies on my MBP and stream the audio to my amplifier. Back then I had to mess around in VLC to fix the buffer AirTunes uses. But now there's a video layer included that fixes this. It plays a lot of filetypes.

You can also stream audio from every single running app or all the audio coming from your system. You can even stream your audio to other computers running Airfoil which makes them small AirTunes points.

Great app, worth the money!

6. johnleblanc macrumors newbie

johnleblanc

Last.fm over Airtunes (Free)

Download and unpack lastfmproxy:
    http://vidar.gimp.org/lastfmproxy/

Configure your personal lastfmproxy settings, particulary last.fm username/password in config.py (see also README.txt).

Launch Terminal.app and navigate to the lastfmproxy directory and launch lastfmproxy:
    Code:
    python main.py
    Visit http://localhost:1881/ in a web browser

Click "start radio" to open an m3u playlist which iTunes can handle and play through remote speakers.

Enjoy! ...I sure have!

7. ipedro macrumors 68030

ipedro

^
    As complex as it sounds, take a moment to wrap your head around it. Works like a charm!

8. ipedro macrumors 68030

ipedro

Does anybody know how to write a Terminal script that will:

1 - Go to the LastFMProxy directory in Applications
    2 - Launch the app
    3 - Open appropriate safari window

Such a script could work as an "App" that you could put in the dock.

I've never delved much into Terminal. I was able to do this manually, but I'm not sure I could write a script.