Last.fm

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trevorplease, Aug 25, 2010.

1. trevorplease macrumors regular

What/how do you scrobble to Last.fm with your iPhone?

Is there an app that scrobbles what you listen to on your iPod app?

Or any desktop based script or anything at all?

I don't know how to use set up the official client and I don't like using iTunes to listen to my music on my desktop anyway. Which seems to be the only option that most programs out there have compatibility with.

2. shandyman Suspended

if you install the desktop client (which is simple to do, just download, run the setup, log into the app, then leave it running), when you sync your iphone with itunes, it does a batch scrobble from there. i think that the last.fm app for the iphone will scrobble from the iPod, but only when you go into the app, i know they were looking in to live scrobbling, but dunno if they've managed to implement it yet.

Edit: after a bit of searching, this app does live scrobbling from the iPhone - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iscrobble-premium/id328295497?mt=8#

3. epoch. macrumors newbie

4. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Just jailbreak, there's a ton of options if you do. Scrobbl is one of the only reasons I still jailbreak

5. shandyman Suspended

why jailbreak just to scrobble, when there is a perfectly decent app in the app store that does it.

not everyone has to, or want's to jailbreak and its just not helpful when someone asks something and someone just says to jailbreak. especially when there are options to do stuff without jailbreaking....

6. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

jailbreaking is not an option for me.

thanks for the help with that app but as far as i can see it requires you to use their ipod app to scrobble.

for those interested i've come across a free version of that app posted. it's called iscrob

i'm not looking for this, i want to use the regular ipod app to listen to music.

7. shandyman Suspended

well the only way with the regular ipod app is when finished to go into the last.fm app and that should then scrobble what you listened to, or install the official desktop app which will automatically scrobble once you sync with itunes, it's actually really easy to do, my computer illiterate friend has managed it with ease :) you just have it running when you sync with itunes for whatever reason you need to, i have it going all the time, so when i do my weekly backup, it does the scrobbling too.

8. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

Will the desktop add on scrobble even though I manually manage my music? Previously another program I used to scrobble my ipod touch when connected would inflate my playcount on the ipod touch to no end when using the program.

9. shandyman Suspended

the desktop will scrobble from iTunes no matter how you do it, only issue i had would be when i used the last.fm app on the iphone and then the desktop when i sync'd with itunes and it doubled up, but since going to iPhone 4, that's stopped, so there must have been some fix along the way.

10. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

1. You can use the iScrobbler desktop app to scrobble to your Last FM account when you sync back to iTunes.

2. You can use the iScrobbler app to scrobble over the air, but it won't work in the background, so this is the weakest option.

3. You can jailbreak and use one of the unofficial apps from Cydia. I use Scrobl.

If you choose option 2 or 3, and you have the desktop app as well, be sure to turn off scrobbling on your desktop app before syncing, or your scrobbles will report twice.

That being said, I think it is only proper to post your Last FM account whenever mentioning it!

http://www.last.fm/user/theconfuzed1

11. shandyman Suspended

he clearly stated jailbreaking is not an option, ruling out number 3, he said he only wants to use the native iPod app, and the Last.fm app does OTA scrobbling too, not in background either if using the native iPod app. and why use some random 3rd party desktop app to do something the official desktop app does? :confused:

12. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Scrobbling over the air was my primary reason for jailbreaking.

At the time, the official app was not yet available.

Since then, I have new reasons to jailbreak, but I would still do so even if that were the only reason.

Quite simply, the official app is incomplete, as it is unable to properly run in the background.

13. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

You know, other people do read these threads. The answer I posted was as much for them as it was the OP. That is why I gave all applicable solutions.

When I first began scrobbling, there was a reason that the iScrobbler app was better than the Last FM client--The official one was a bloated resource hog. Perhaps that has been fixed since then.

14. ikaveh macrumors regular

+1
    I am now downloadin Scrobblr through cydia

15. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

The OP is asking for the impossible. Either jailbreak and get what you're looking for or accept one of the other options. Native scrobbling OTA with the iPod app is impossible right now (and probably always will be unless Apple implements it themselves).

16. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

That is what I am hoping for. This was rumored a while back, but has yet to come to fruition.

17. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I don't see why it shouldn't. I'm pretty sure my brother manually manages his music (Windows though) and it scrobbles fine.

18. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

Is his play count messed up on his iPod?