Last gen, 2.2GHz VS. 2.4GHZ model

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dodoei, Feb 27, 2008.

1. dodoei macrumors member

Amazon is selling last gen MBP 2.4GHz for 1750, 2.2GHz for 1550. both seem to be good deals. I'm wondering how much performance difference I can see with the 2.4G model? It'll be a general purpose mac. Will they have similar resale value after a year or so? thx.

2. lekun macrumors regular

Personally, I don't think that much. Barefeats basically established that the difference between 128 MB of VRAM and 256 was non-existent except when working on massive Photoshop files. The hard drive isn't faster between the two, though if you have 100GB worth of files the 160 GB will perform better because it is less full.

So the main difference comes down to 200mhz of processor speed. Sure that is a 10% increase, but processor speed is only one factor of a computer's speed, but lets say it translates into 10% overall system performance.

Think about how often you spike both of your processors. An hour a day? Two? Maybe not at all; for me I might do it once a week when I convert a video file. For however long you spike both your processors, calculate that it could be done 10% quicker. Is that worth a $400 difference (I don't know if that is the Amazon price difference or not).

For me I have never really understood the decision to get the midrange 15 MBP. It seems like quite a lot of money for very little improvement. If you are the type of user who really needs to squeeze that kind of performance from a computer, it might be best to go with a Mac Pro / MB combo.