Last-gen MBP vs. New MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shu15, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Shu15 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I just bought a now "last-gen" baseline MBP about a week ago. I was wondering what you all thought of returning it for the new MBP. I need your advice because of the new tech specs and it seems like everyone likes this, but hates this, and I haven't seen any real direct comparisons to the last-gen. Would the small bump in processor be noticeable? I don't really need the discrete graphics, but what other things would you guys/girls think about upgrading? Thanks!

2. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

We need more details , What do you do in your laptop ? if you dont need the dedicated graphic card , i recommend getting the new one

3. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, sorry about that. I'm just stepping into the photography world, so Photoshop is probably on the horizon. I am on the computer a lot, so any speed bumps would be appreciated. (I know Snow Leopard will probably help with that.) The SD would probably be good, but the express card is also cable of that. I also record music, so any ways that one would be better over the other would be appreciated.

4. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I think you should stay with the old one as you already got a dedicated graphic card that will help you alot , If you want the sd slot , you can always return it and get a macbook pro with a dedicated graphic card ,. I go with new :D only if you can return

5. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but I bought it refurbished :( so that would probably only get me the baseline MacBook Pro 15" (All these new MacBook Pros are confusing me! I'm just calling the original MacBook Pros the "Pros")

6. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

All,
    Sorry to do this, but I need to have my answer really, really, really fast because of the return policy. Thanks in advance.

7. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

If you dont got the money stay with it , The baseline 15in pro doesnt have a dedicated graphic card, and you sound like you will need it

8. fpar macrumors regular

If your refund only gets you the base 15" Mbp, i would stick with the old one as it has dedicated graphics which in my opinion is far more important than minor cpu changes and a SD slot, keep in mind that the old Mbp had a 5.5-6hr battery anyway. I think its shameful that they sell a £1300 laptop with integrated graphics.

9. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to both of you for your help.

I agree about it being just a bad decision. I bet that's gonna make a lotof people mad. I also disagree with Apple's decision to make the MacBook a "MacBook Pro". They will just increase the confusion that some non-techie people will have when buying a Mac.

10. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Thats why we got the forums for :D , ALot of the people are very greatful and helpful and we help you with any question

11. eVolcre Suspended

eVolcre

What kind of applications would the discrete graphics help with? I'd like to make sure I would use it before spending the additional cash. I'm really not sure what the difference between integrated and discrete does. Is the integrated that bad?

For comparison, I have the 1st gen MBP17 right now. No idea what the graphics are

eV

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Simply put, discrete graphics will give better graphics performance. That doesn't make any difference to most applications: where it matters is games and 3D modelling work. For most users, they won't notice a difference between integrated and discrete. People on this forum just like to complain about integrated graphics. :)

As to your current MBP, the new one with integrated graphics already has more powerful graphics. So don't worry about going backwards or anything.

13. eVolcre Suspended

eVolcre

Sweet. Thanks! :)

That's the kind of 'real world advice' I was looking for. It's so easy to start debating features and 'upgrades' but it makes no sense to spend the money if I'm never going to use the feature.

Would light movie editing be possible with integrated?

Thanks again - eV

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Even heavy video editing is "possible" with integrated graphics, it's just not the ideal way of doing it.

15. fpar macrumors regular

The new base Mbp with integrated graphics will have comparable graphics performance to your 3 year old Mbp, as I see it it really kills the benefit of upgrading, you would now have to spend £1500 to see an increase in graphic performance.