Last-gen refurbished MacBook Pro 15" vs. New MacBook 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mjfor40, Nov 27, 2008.

1. mjfor40 macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been discussed already but can someone confirm that I am correct..?

Seems to me that the last-gen refurb MacBook Pro 15" 2.4ghz, 200gb at $1349 is a fantastic deal and comparable in speed to the brand new MacBook except with a bigger screen and non-glossy screen.

Should I expect a further price-drop for refurb MBP's in the future or act now? Also, Apple refurbs are usually very reliable, correct?

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

The benchmarks show that the faster bus and ram provide a modest increase in performance. The big change is the styling and uni-body aluminum chasis.

The laptop lines were just updated in October and you likely won't see another price drop until there is a new iteration. The next products in line for upgrade are the iMac, mini and Mac Pro. The mini may be dropped or replaced with some other headless variation.

3. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

If the price point is roughly the same, definitely go with the Refurb Macbook Pro. I have purchased several Apple refurbs and can easily testify that they are of the highest quality.

4. rumourguy macrumors member

I got the pervious gen 2.5 250 gb hdd for 1300:D

5. mjfor40 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I don't care about the new unibody construction and glossy screen, the previous gen refurb MBP is the way to go?

Should I still get the 3-year Apple care for $349?

6. svndmvn Guest

yes, it is a great machine, especially if you prefer a better graphic card/bigger and better display,more expandability over the portability and other stuff offered by the new one.
    You can get Apple care anytime during the first year, at least I thought so about the 2 year Apple care, I now googled the 3 year one, you could ask in store and make sure what are the options.

7. chipchen macrumors 6502

Check with your local universities and friend that attend/work there. Apple has been putting on clearance their last generation MacBook Pro's for REALLY cheap. $1099 for a 2.4 GHz last gen MacBook Pro at a nearby university here.

8. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Got a refurb last gen MBP from Apple the other day. Looks nice so far, though it hasn't been used much yet. Got the AppleCare on Ebay using the MS Cashback thingy for $198 (with around $50 cashback after that).

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would normally recommend the previous generation, but after getting the unibody, the unibody is worth it if you abuse you computer or carry everywhere with you. You are less prone to computer chassis warping and such—ended up doing a few repairs and 2 replacements.

Otherwise, the previous generation is a great deal.

10. mjfor40 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not in college...is this only in-store univeristy Apple stores?

Also an issue buying AppleCare on eBay? That would save me a couple hundred dollars and I'm wondering how this is even possible?!? How are these sellers making any money?

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd go with the refurb MBP; I have one and I'm very happy with it. It's a terrific computer, great spec, powerful, great performance, excellent screen, individually tested and tried, and comes with Apple's warranty to which you can add Applecare. The price is also extremely competitive. Besides, I'd argue that it is still a better computer than the new MB, attractive, alluring and beautifully-designed though the latter is.

Cheers and good luck

12. Semiopaque macrumors regular

They seem to be old contracts on AppleCare products but work like the new ones. Maybe they bought a bunch at one time and didn't use them all, maybe a large scale discount, not sure, but so far mine seems to have processed through Apple without issue, granted its only been a few days, though. Check the threads here as there seem to be quick a number of people who have gotten AC this way.

13. mjfor40 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help all, appreciate it. I'm very close to taking the refurb MBP plunge...

And just to confirm, the refurb MBP contains the newest Mac OS X, correct? Nothing has changed with the operating system with the new MacBooks right?

Other random questions for the previous gen MBP: Will a wireless USB Logitech mouse I bought for my PC laptop work on this MBP? How is DVD playback/video quality? Any stats on battery life while working or watching a movie and listening to music? And finally, does that cool iTunes screensaver with the flipping album covers come with Mac OS X? :)

14. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

The refurbs come with Leopard, the latest OS.
    I have never had an issue connecting Logitech hardware.
    Videos will play back fine. Just keep in mind that DVD resolution is 720p at bet and your new screen will far surpass that spec, If you watch full screen, the computer has to compensate.
    I don't have any stats on battery, but my kids can watch a DVD on a two hour car ride and still have battery left.
    Yes, the iTunes album art is one one the screen savers.