last gen Time Capsule Configuration problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JoeG4, Dec 15, 2013.

1. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

So ever since I got my Airport Time Capsule, I've been having nasty issues with it. 99% of the time, when I try to update the configuration (network name, password, ports, time control settings, etc) the airport utility (whether it be via ethernet or wireless, or mac/pc/iphone) fails in the restart stage, and I have to manually unplug the router to reset it. At that point, it's obvious the router crashed and never saved the new settings.

:mad:

The funny thing is, after trying tons of things (dozens of default resets, reset button resets, reconfiguration), I've found the one trick that always works:

Unplugging the WAN port so the router isn't connected to my modem (a motorola sb6121 on comcast).

I have no idea why that is, but.. does anyone else have that problem? If I unplug that I can do all of the reconfiguration I wish and it'll restart flawlessly.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have used two different Time Capsules (the last gen and now the new tower) with a SB6141 and no issue like that at all. I have never seen anybody in the forums report that either. It sounds like you have a bad Time Capsule maybe.

3. JoeG4 thread starter macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Yar, I've noticed people had that problem with airport extremes on and off over the past few years, but I really don't think it's normal.

I'm going to take it in to see what Apple can do about it this week. Thanks dude :D