Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Well, further to the the 'G5's, displays, iMacs and a confused user' thread where I was wondering what computer to by, I'm not wondering about the monitor.

I'm planning on buying one of the last generation cinema displays from ebay. What do people think about this? If you're wondering, yes, asthetics is important and yes, I think the last generation displays were the most gorgeous ever. The new aluminium look just doesn't go with white speakers/keyboard/mouse. I'm willing to pay for those looks.

But are there implications to this? Are these monitors of good quality? Are they colour accurate for simple photography editing? And can I rely on one to l

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Smileyguy said:
Well, further to the the 'G5's, displays, iMacs and a confused user' thread where I was wondering what computer to by, I'm not wondering about the monitor.

I'm planning on buying one of the last generation cinema displays from ebay. What do people think about this? If you're wondering, yes, asthetics is important and yes, I think the last generation displays were the most gorgeous ever. The new aluminium look just doesn't go with white speakers/keyboard/mouse. I'm willing to pay for those looks.

But are there implications to this? Are these monitors of good quality? Are they colour accurate for simple photography editing? And can I rely on one to l

Sure - the last gen cinema displays are great. They're ADC though so depending on what you're connecting them too, you might need that big DVI-ADC convertor box. Also, I don't know about buying a display from ebay - that seems like something I'd want to see beofre I purchased. Finally, the new cinema displays were reduced in price recently (if you can get over your aesthetic pereferences).

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks. ;)

i know they were reduced, but they're still too expensive. Perhaps a trip to the Refurb store is needed. Or perhaps I'll start looking third-party.

Yeah, buying a monitor on ebay might be dodgy, you're right.

AmnesiacOpera

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
The last generation Apple displays seem to be grossly overpriced for their quality. Back in the day, they were top of the line, but now I would say they are mediocre at best. You would be able to find a new display of better quality for a cheaper price.

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
If your set on the last style, the apple webstore still sells this style refurbished, they have a 17" for $599, and check your local apple resellers, they could still have some new in box at a sale price. Ebay is also a good choice as I am sure some people just need the new style to match their new powermac.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
expercom has the lucite 20" cinema display for $799 (I forget if that's refurbished or new). that's the same price that people are selling 1-and-2-year old used displays.

on eBay I see Buy-it-Now prices on 23" lucite cinema displays of $1100 and $1200.

the 17" studio display LCDs seem to go for around $400 on eBay, and the best price I've seen new or refurbished lately is $499 (I think also at expercom or maybe at LA Computer Company).

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks for that Rod, it just seems they've sold the last one!

I think I'm going to get a formac. They're gorgeous, great and affordable.

t_292.jpg

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Already done it! I might buy one secondhand. It's a risk I'm willing to put up with. I'm in Ireland and I think there's a difference between the service here/UK and in the US. Hopefully!

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Smileyguy said:
Already done it! I might buy one secondhand. It's a risk I'm willing to put up with. I'm in Ireland and I think there's a difference between the service here/UK and in the US. Hopefully!

great, well good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.