Last Generation MBP worth it at 40-50% off RRP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pepto, May 6, 2010.

1. pepto macrumors member

Hi

A local store is having a clearance of their ex-display model last generation MBPs and I am temped by the 2.66ghz 15.4 inch with the 9600GT for 100,000 yen (about 780 pounds) and the 2.8ghz 15.4inch for 130,000 yen (about 920 pounds). My dilemma is that I will be moving home from Japan to the UK soon and if I buy a new mac there I will be paying quite a bit more for it. I would be able to take the laptop back to the UK from Japan with me and probably use it until I get a job/flat at which point I will probably get an i7 iMac.

Just wondering if a) these prices are very good compared to what is available in the UK and b) if there is much risk buying a 4-6 month old ex-display model that has been plugged into the mains all day every day. I asked and the staff said that the batteries were all fine and that the laptops came with a full 1 year apple warranty, and my experience with the ex-dispay iMac that I have had for the last 4 years has been really smooth but I worry mostly about the fact that laptops seem a ot more fragile than desktops.

2. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I personally wouldn't take the chance of buying a display model, especially, a notebook. I'm not sure what the current prices are (I haven't been to the shopping centre for a couple of weeks) but I think it would be worth the extra money to get a new unit. You should also check out Apple's Refurb selection. I've had great luck with that.

*I just checked the prices on the UK Refurb store. The cheapest 15" is £1269...

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I don't really see a problem with that. The price sounds quite reasonable. I have bought display units before and have not had any problems hardware wise. Plus it comes with the standard year of Applecare which can be upgraded to three years, if there are any problems.

Though a printer I bought came with the wrong inks. This was a blessing in disguise as HP sent a new full set of inks that normally run $70 USD. I spent $100 for the printer which was retailing and $300 and got $70 worth of ink. That was a great deal.

4. seb-opp macrumors 6502

For £780 you'd be looking at a white Macbooks you'd be getting a real bargain. Just make sure the one you want looks in good condition. I've seen some display models in absolutely atrocious conditions before!

5. pepto thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the comments...my main concern would be the battery but as I would get 1 year of warranty, if the battery stops holding charge in the next few months I would expect apple to replace it free of charge anyway.

To be honest, if I do buy a laptop it will probably be a stop gap until I get settled somewhere in the UK at which time I plan to buy a 27 inch i5/i7 iMac.
    Would the Japanese keyboard be a big problem when trying to resell a laptop in the UK? It looks like changing the keyboard on the unibody MBP is quite difficult because you have to change the whole top section of the laptop...I wonder how much it costs at the apple store?

6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I think you shouldn't buy it...its an old display model with no warranty...doesn't makes me happy about thinking what might happen and how much it will cost you to repair it.

but a used model from someone who at least has some warranty left, so you can buy apple care

but that's just my opinion...if you think its worth the risk or you really want to buy it then go ahead :eek:

7. yukio macrumors regular

this is a left-field question - but would you be able to pick one up in the US - new - and take advantage of the lower selling price here toi get a better value for your money?

say - on a long layover from Japan to the UK?

8. pepto thread starter macrumors member

I am actually planning to travel back to the uk overland from China, probably on the trans siberian express. I might be traveling through Hong Kong in which case I could pick up the top i5 15 inch MBP for about 180,000 yen (about 1300 pounds) and the i7 for 200,000 yen (about 1450 pounds). That then takes the cost up a a notch or 2...and I'm not sure if it would be worth it if I plan to buy an iMac once I get settled back in the uk.

I suppose the HK ones would have English keyboards, which would make reselling them easier in the uk.

The cheap ones available this weekend do have a full 1 year warranty, and I might feel a bit more comfortable with a cheaper laptop in my bag while I take the trip back.

I will have to be outside the shop from about 2am if I really want one of these deals, and the more I look at it the HK option might be the best.