Last iteration of iMacs - when go they?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xyian, Aug 9, 2007.

1. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

So, I called the Apple Store yesterday and found out that they sent the last iteration of the iMacs back to Apple. What does past history dictate for pricing on those? I am not happy with the new iMac with the looks, glossy screen or keyboard but I want an Intel version as I've been waiting for a while. Any ideas?

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you'll be able to buy the white imacs for a while from various resellers and such, but don't expect a huge discount.

3. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Check the refurb section of the Apple online store. I just bought a 17" iMac for my mom for $850.

4. sndcj1 macrumors member

I think retailers like MacMall and their like get most of them. They give $100-$300 back on the original price, which in most cases doesn't seem to bring it quite in line with the pricing for the new machines... ie the old 24 inch you can get for 1699 after rebate, the new one you can get for 1694 after rebate. I think the deals get better as they get older, but then you run the risk of not getting one at all.
    I personally like the way the new ones look, especially that 2.8 ghz proc. I'll be ordering me one of those as soon as I get home from the business trip.

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I'd keep an eye out on Amazon. They take some time, but when Apple updates their products, Amazon will clear their older inventory with some pretty heavy cuts; For instance the 24" white iMac is currerntly about $1600 (2.16, 1gb, 250gb, new) which the apple store has refurbished for $1449.. I'd expect Amazon's price to drop another $200 to $400 in the coming weeks, plus their usual rebate, plus free shipping and no tax for most states.

As a point of reference, when Apple updated their MacBooks, Amazon cleared out a bunch of BlackBooks for around $900; The same BlackBook one week earlier was $1500. So if you don't mind getting slightly older revisions, or just prefer the aesthetics of it, I think Amazon would be a good place to look.

P.S., I bought both my current Macs from Amazon.

6. xyian thread starter macrumors 6502

xyian

Yeah, I'm just wondering if I should just order a refurb now. $1099 is a good deal on a 20". I don't care about the speed and graphics card. I'm running the G5 2.1 right now and it's perfectly fine for what I need. I don't find the new iMac visually appealing. I like the keyboard, but not the brushed alum. with white.

7. xyian thread starter macrumors 6502

xyian

Now you have me considering a 24".............damn you!:D