Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

/UserName

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Is there a way to go back to a configuration of a few days ago? My cousin has been messing around with my computer and I want to put it all back the way it was. (I have never used the time machine on this computer so I don't think that will help)

UKPete

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
You are essentially asking if you can restore your computer from a backup when you've never backed up your computer. The answer is obviously "no."

What he's asking is if the Mac has the same option a Windows PC has which allows the users to revert back to configuration changes made previously to the system.

Sometimes handy if a faulty driver or application is installed, this can be done without a backup but from a System Restore Point.

Unfortunately MAC's do not have this functionality.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
What he's asking is if the Mac has the same option a Windows PC has which allows the users to revert back to configuration changes made previously to the system.

Sometimes handy if a faulty driver or application is installed, this can be done without a backup but from a System Restore Point.

Unfortunately MAC's do not have this functionality.

Windows system restore point is very similar to a Time Machine back up. The difference is Time machine doesn't cover OS or kernel files. Just what Apple considers "user files".

Macs can boot into safe mode. That will load a minimum number of drivers and I have had it fix other mysterious issues as well.

Time machine would help you if your cousin had installed or uninstalled programs.

Are you seeing any weird behaviour or are you just nervous that something MIGHT be wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.