Last known good configuration

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by /UserName, Apr 16, 2011.

1. /UserName macrumors newbie

Is there a way to go back to a configuration of a few days ago? My cousin has been messing around with my computer and I want to put it all back the way it was. (I have never used the time machine on this computer so I don't think that will help)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You are essentially asking if you can restore your computer from a backup when you've never backed up your computer. The answer is obviously "no."

3. UKPete macrumors newbie

What he's asking is if the Mac has the same option a Windows PC has which allows the users to revert back to configuration changes made previously to the system.

Sometimes handy if a faulty driver or application is installed, this can be done without a backup but from a System Restore Point.

Unfortunately MAC's do not have this functionality.

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Windows system restore point is very similar to a Time Machine back up. The difference is Time machine doesn't cover OS or kernel files. Just what Apple considers "user files".

Macs can boot into safe mode. That will load a minimum number of drivers and I have had it fix other mysterious issues as well.

Time machine would help you if your cousin had installed or uninstalled programs.

Are you seeing any weird behaviour or are you just nervous that something MIGHT be wrong?