Last known Mac Mini to support Tiger OS???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jtbrand, Jul 12, 2009.

1. jtbrand macrumors newbie

Does anyone know the model number of the last Mac Mini that shipped with Tiger OS? I need a mac mini that supports tiger and was told by mac support that I can install tiger on a brand new mac mini because its not backwards compatible. So I need to buy a used mac mini and I'm having trouble figuring out what mini's support tiger. I purchased MB138LL/A a year or so ago with tiger but when I look to buy a used version of that model number I see it ships with Leopard. So I'm not confident I can even install tiger on that same model because Apple may have done something sneaky even though its the same hardware. This is confusing the crap out of me. I basically want the best processor I can get where I can still install Tiger. Any help would be appreciated. I;ve searched everywhere.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh, why? :confused:

The Mid 2007 ones had Tiger. That's MB138 and MB139. You must install a minimum of 10.4.10 on those models.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You are aware that leopard is a better os right?

4. jtbrand thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have some custom software that I had built and its not compatible with Leopard. So I need tiger. So MB139 is the last to support tiger? And even if I buy that model at the time it shipped with Leopard, I can still go back to tiger?

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Gotcha. If it shipped with Leopard than you cannot go backwards. Your best bet is to find a PPC Mini. All of those came/work with Tiger.