Last Man On The Moon Has Died At Age 82

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ucfgrad93, Jan 16, 2017.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Gene Cernan has died, according to Fox News. Another American hero is gone. Very sad.

2. MacNut, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2017

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's sad that he is still the last man to walk on the moon and we haven't been back since.

3. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It has been 44 years since Apollo XVII. Can't believe we haven't been back. Even worse, we can't even send our own astronauts up to the ISS, we have to rely on the Russians to do it for us.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I met Neil Armstrong and Gene Cernan together. Gene's big joke was that everybody remembers the first man on the moon but nobody remembers the last man on the moon. I'm sure he's been saying that since 1972 but it was still funny. Armstrong was looking very frail and died about nine months later.

5. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

Really necessary to go back? I heard real estates values are down.

I believe our core set of original astronauts were heroes as they ventured into unknown territories. I believe it was Kennedy that said we needed to go to the moon to challenge our tech resources. After all, we did get Tang out of it../s.
    Seriously, Many tech advances that affected future generations became of this.

Wikipedia: As of 2016, NASA claims that there are nearly 2,000 other spin-offs in the fields of computer technology, environment and agriculture, health and medicine, public safety, transportation, recreation, and industrial productivity.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I read this story with interest when the news of Gene Cernan's death was broadcast.

That generation of astronauts were extraordinarily brave and pioneering individuals; and yes, it is strange to think that he is the last man to die of those who walked on the Moon.

7. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Gene Cernan was the last man to walk on the moon, but not the last of the "moon walkers" to die. There are 6 who are still living.

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 8.46.41 AM.png

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, I see, thank you.

Yes, I had wondered about this, - and was a bit surprised that they had all apparently died in recent times - but hadn't thought to examine the details of all of this too closely.

Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to clarify this; that makes sense.

So, he was the individual who had walked on the moon most recently, but others - six others - who had walked on the moon prior to that are still alive. Must do some further reading.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I find it strange there has been no further attempt or that other nations don't try it too.

10. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

It is a shame he did not explain what it was like passing through the Van Allen radiation belts. By all accounts, no living organism can survive.

11. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

There's another 6 moon walkers still alive, plus the remaining command module pilots and surviving members of Apollo 8, 10 and 13 that could be asked?

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Was born locally in Chicago and the local Jr. College named their Space Center after him - go there quite often.

All the Astronauts were (are) my idols...

2017 not looking good right now... :(

13. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

You've been terribly misinformed.

Read: Apollo Rocketed-Through Van Allen Belts

Watch:

14. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

I don't believe it. It is similar to theory that WTC buildings collapsed by a plane hitting near the top - hogwash.

15. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So, the thousands of people that would have been involved in faking the moon landings have all kept quiet? Hogwash.

16. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Including the Soviets who would have liked nothing more than to expose the landings as fake. They were monitoring every aspect of those missions.

17. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Just go to any observatory. Any university that has one. Ask to see the lunar lander through their telescope...

18. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

No earth based telescope can pick out something as small as 30 feet across on the surface of the moon. The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has taken photos of the landing sites. https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/news/apollo-sites.html

19. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

So-called soviets are ruled over (under the counter) by the same as rule over US, and the rest of us. In other words, of course they will play their part in the drama, they are all actors on the world stage anyway. Real truth is not what you read in the media. Media is the brainwashing limb of the ruling powers. Never trust a politician. Or his friends and accomplices.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2017 ---
    You think NASA will publicise anything contrary to the party line? Think again, brother.

20. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

This was the depths of the Cold War. You really think the Soviets would have played ball?

21. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Of course. They have been playing ball all along. Who funded killing the Czar and installing communism? Same rascals that implemented Federal Reserve, started WW1, WW2, Gulf wars, etc. ad nauseum.

22. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So you really think that the thousands of people who would have been required to pull off this great deception have all kept quiet?

That is sheer lunacy.

23. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

You really thing thousands of people are in on the secret?

That is sheer lunacy.

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Your knowledge of history is as imprecise as your understanding of science.

I suspect that this is for a number of reasons: Firstly, it is extraordinarily costly in terms of resources, and secondly, it takes an enormous physical toll on the human body for returns that may not seem to yield much for the "investment" in time, resources, and people.

And thirdly - the actual technology of how we can travel in space, and through space - has not changed much - or developed much - in the past half a century. For now, our technology - that is, the technology at our disposal, - limits what we can do and for how long we can do it.

25. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

I'd love to know where you receive your precise understanding of history. Surely not gonna say mass media? o_O