Last minute advice for 256GB SSD....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pendo, Sep 26, 2011.

1. pendo macrumors regular

OK...after mulling it around for a few weeks, I decided to just do it. Originally I was just going to go with a 128GB size, but decided that's a little too cramped.

So....been agonizing over the different options. I have late 08 unibody so I'm sata2. So the prices are within a few bucks of either going with a single 256GB or 2 128GB drives. I was just about to click the order button with 2 drives and thought I'd check here first for a little validation, lol.

Based mostly on user info gleaned through various searches (many here) I was going to get the Samsung 470. But I now see that the Crucial M4 is just a couple bucks more......not sure though cause I read some stuff on owc about how the sata3 drives don't always work so well from the superdrive bay. It seems like the Samsung's will work for sure.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

For What It's Worth

I went for the 256, but on the advice of my friends at Apple, bought the external SuperDrive instead of another SSD.

Reason? I was told that waiting for a while would be wise, as new devices are on the way.

You are going to be very pleased with your new MBA. The SSD speed is awesome.

----------

Posted in the wrong thread, but the SSD advice is still valid though:eek:

3. JT123 macrumors member

If this was me, in the interest of saving money, I would be getting a 128GB SSD (Probably Crucial for me), put that in the HDD bay. Then (some may disagree) but the reason you get a SSD is for random read write, not streaming. Therefore they are not good for things like movies or music. I mean they are excellent for them, but really they would be not be significantly faster than a HDD at this task, and therefore represent a massive over capitalization.

They are fantastic to put all of your programs and OS on though. So I would be getting a large HDD and put that in the Superdrive bay.

Don't get me wrong, in the long run SSDs are better than HDDs but at the moment price is an issue. If you are planning on putting media on there go the HDD for that and SSD for Software. But if you are loading up 20mb PDFs go the SSD.

My Opinion.

Good Luck :)

4. pendo thread starter macrumors regular

This actually was the original plan. Currently my hdd is a 500GB 7200 rpm Seagate, which I would've moved. I'm not entirely certain what all I have to keep on the ssd, but after I take out music/movies/pictures, and some large-ish photoshop directories I'm at ~150GB. That's not including the boot camp partition which is presently 60GB, although it's hardly important (only using it for Visual Studio and my C++ class).

Price is always an issue....maybe I should figure out a way to slim down a bit. What all HAS to be put on the ssd? Oh, and any known issues with the crucial m4 on sata2 systems?

5. pendo thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot about my AOSP disk image, lol. That's another ~35GB that I don't need in the ssd.

I found a handful of other items that can stay on the platter drive, so I just got a single 128GB Samsung 470. With the 15% coupon code at Newegg it came out at $182 with free shipping. 15% is supposed to be good through tomorrow, btw.

Thanks for the sanity check JT123 :)

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Make sure to enable TRIM. It will not turn on by itself.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1125400