Last Minute Advice... Multiple Q's: 27"/22"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JesseW6889, Jun 18, 2011.

1. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

22" or 27"

Its driving me nuts!

I need advice from people who've used 27"... I think it will be 'too big' but I want it to be! I just remember when I got my first 22" how HUGE it seemed, but now its just as normal as can be.

I want to play Starcraft 2 on a 27"... but I want the base model for price (possibly even a refurb 2010 if that would do the trick!)

Anyone have experience with running games in lower than native resolution? How does it look?

I wouldn't say I'm getting cold feet... just cautious feet! I don't want to bring home a 27" and be disappointed, and if the 22" blows it out of the water... than I'll 'settle' for that I guess... I don't know!

*please don't tell me a mac isn't my best choice for gaming, i know that. There are many other reasons why I'm getting a mac, and both the 22 and 27" models fulfill my other needs and then some. This is the last thing that I'm hung up on

2. iMikeT macrumors 68020

If you're going to be indecisive and have to ask, you're not ready for either one.

3. Bear macrumors G3

The 27" is only too big if you put it in a location that is too small for the iMac.

You don't say what else you would be using the system for. Some of those uses might point towards the 27".

You didn't say when you think you would be purchasing, but let me toss a 3rd option by you. Wait until the 2011 iMacs are on the refurb store and get the 27" with 1GB VRAM.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's not true, this is a legitimate question.

OP, check out the 27" quad refurbs online. They are cheaper and have a little better of a GPU than the low end 2011s. The 27" takes a little bit to get used to for some users, but I personally like the big screen

5. iMikeT macrumors 68020

You may disagree with me but I'm sure someone else here will also agree with me.

6. JesseW6889 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have checked out the top of the line 27" 2010... The graphics card in it is better than the base 27" 2011? I really can't keep up with all the numbering schemes, etc.

I will be using it for coding, html and school. I would definitely appreciate the additional screen, but a brand new 22" for about a $1,000 is enticing also. I have the money to spring for the top of the line 27", but I don't want to spend that much and I'm trying to find the best deal (considering the circumstances)

I am very much leaning towards the 2010 refurb, and if the graphics card is better, I will definitely pull the trigger on that one. The large amount of pixels on the 27" is what initially made me consider the 2011 models with the newer graphics in the first place.

7. JesseW6889 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your opinion, I still plan to purchase one

8. JesseW6889 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think thats a great option also, how long does it take for new models to go on sale as refurbs, and do you think when they do, the price of the 2010 refurbs will also get cheaper?

I bought my 2010 MBA in December, and I think thats RIGHT when they started coming out with refurbs (because I remember being pretty upset about that!) so if thats the case, maybe its 3 months?

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

What resolution do you play at now? How is it?

Would it really matter if you played at 1920 X 1080 rather than 2560 X 1400?

How much money do you make playing SC?

Have you tried doing an advanced search for "starcraft" in the iMac only section?

Refurbs dont alway make sense money wise. I have to pay 9% tax on a refurb. But macconnection will sell me a new one with no tax and a large rebate. new = $20 more than refurb.

10. theRick119 macrumors member

I was pondering the same question a couple of weeks ago, but with an additional factor you haven't mentioned.

I really wanted a reason to talk myself into the 27" but decided on the 21.5". My reason is that I plan to use dual monitors with the 21.5" and find the horizontal pixels and natural division between the two monitors more productive when coding. Dual monitors on the 27" wasn't an option with my desk. Just another option to consider.

11. iMikeT macrumors 68020

That's good. I hope you can make up your mind about what ever it is you will be purchasing, no one else will do that for you. Good luck.