Last minute buying advice

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Vov, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Vov macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am planning to purchase a use 2009 Mac Pro 2.26x2 8 core Mac Pro w 12gb RAM. It is from a video production company selling on craigslist. It has no video card or hard drives. I plan to buy the nvidia gt120 off ebay for $80 and and a Samsung SSD.

They are asking $500.

My question is to those who still use their Mac Pro's, do you think this is a good idea. I plan to use it for school and just enjoy the expandable storage. I use a 2009 15 inch macbook pro that still runs fine for me. I have always wanted an OSX desktop w/o going the hackintosh route.

Also, I kind of trust them because they are a small business with an actual office but what advice can you give when I go check it out. I am going to try to get them to plug a video card up and prove it turns on but if they don't do that would you still risk it?

Thanks in advance.

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

That's a very good price, so I definitely understand the temptation. I have the exact same machine and I love mine (and I paid a lot more than $500).

If they would let you verify that it works, then I'd say it's a great idea (others will suggest something more powerful than the GT120 and they're not wrong, but it's a great card regular use).

I understand you're skepticism of spending $500 without being able to verify it works. That's more money than I'm usually willing to "risk". Ask them if they'd be willing to give you a refund if it doesn't work.

Without being able to turn it on, there's only so much you can look for. Make sure that the case isn't bent and that the side panel lines up flush with the case. Open it up and look for dust. Look for signs of corrosion or spilled liquids (some people drink at their desk).

Good luck and let us know what you decide!!!

3. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Hi Vov If the arrangement with the seller is you can pick up and test the Mac Pro before paying that would be fine. I think $500 is a reasonable price as long as the Mac Pro is running fine. If the arrangement is for the seller to ship the computer to you I am not sure if I want to risk that.

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I also think $500 is a great price. I think you will be very happy with this machine. Good luck with it.

5. Vov thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I will check those things you mentioned. I probably will try to figure something out to have some guarantee it will work. If I can't, I will just have to pass I guess.

It is to pick up at their office not too far from where I live. The only problem is I do not have a graphics card to test there. But I am sure they do so I may just have them confirm it works or else I'll walk.

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Great price. I wouldn't worry about pre-verifying it. Just make sure you can return it. But my question is why the GT120? That's a slow dog. You can get a GTX 570 for about $120 on flea-bay.

7. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Great if it's for pick up. The 2009 2.26ghz Mac Pro is still a good machine. When you inspect the Mac Pro, also check the interior and the processor tray for dents or any physical damage. Like what Minifridge1138 mentioned, check the casing, handles for dents. if there are dents may mean the computer fell hard on the floor or accidentally dropped. You may want to ask the seller if the computer was plugged using a surge protector or UPS which would be be better. For videocard, if you can get a Nvidia 470GTX or 570GTX would be great. Good Luck.

8. Vov thread starter macrumors newbie

I was wanting the gt120 just to get everything set up and maybe down the road upgrade to a flashed, more powerful card. But for now the gt120 is the cheapest plug and play Apple card I can find on eBay.

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

he'll want to see boot screens for the first bit. I'd look for an Apple card if I was in his shoes too.

10. Vov thread starter macrumors newbie

In case anyone is wondering. I went ahead and got it. All I was able to do was turn it on and I heard the apple chime and the fans seemed to be operating correctly. It was in pretty good shape too. The company was replacing the Mac Pros with iMacs. Dude also was able to throw in a Magic Mouse. I ordered the gfx card so hopefully everything works out. If it doesn't he did say bring it back so we will see.

Thanks for the help.

11. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Congrats on your Mac Pro and good that the sale turned out fine. Must be exciting for you and I am sure you'll enjoy your machine.