last minute macbook buying advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dazed, Nov 15, 2008.

1. dazed macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I started a thread a while ago about running cs3 and 4 on a macbook and will buy one in the next few days. My two main options seem to be a MB 2.0 or there are a few local stores which still have some of the old white and black macbooks.

Now i prefer the look of the blackbook but am worried i'm screwing myself out of a better graphics card if I go that route.

I need help deciding between the far sexier (in my eyes) older/slower generation or the new one.

Thanks

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you're planning on running CS4, I would definitely go with the new MB. The GPU in the newer models will give you a significant performance boost, especially since CS4 actually utilizes the GPU.

3. molala macrumors 6502a

I had to make the same decision and went with a refurb Blackbook and put in 4GB RAM.

I use CS3 and Illustrator runs well working on ~130MB files. I don't know about CS4.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'd definitely go with the aluminum version, mainly because of the graphics. The look of the aluminum will grow on you. trust me.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'd also advise you not to spend ~$1300 on either until you have actually decided which one you want!

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I personally love the BlackBook's looks, you'll get it for a couple hundred less. If you are going to be running CS4, get the aluminum one though as it will be faster on it.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

more specific info would be nice

What kind of gear do you want to use with the macbook? Does any of it require firewire?

Have you googled benchmarks of cs3 and 4 between the two machines?

Have you searched threads to see how if anyone else using those programs are satisified with the macbook's displays? A few pros I've talked to poo-poo the screens on it due to washout and the glossy exterior.

Does it have to be portable? Do you already have a great LCD monitor you know and trust? If so, maybe even a mac mini would work better.

Finally, if a whitebook or blackbook would work, have you considered Craigslist (assuming you live in or near a decent sized city)? I've seen the white macbooks, either still under the original one year warranty or with extended applecare provided, go for increasing discounts.

Good luck.

8. King t. macrumors regular

get the new MB, I'm using CS4 on my and it rocks :D

9. dazed thread starter macrumors 6502a

hi, thanks for all the feedback.

The computer will mainly be used for the usual web/email etc but would like to use it for limited photoshop and illustrator use from time to time. This wouldnt be my main machine for cs3.

I havent seen any comparisons on the gpus yet. does anyone here have both and if so is there a noticeable difference in normal day to day use ?

Thanks

10. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Processing, Black is better. Graphics, Aluminum is better. There are some comparisons, I just have no idea where they are. Ultimately, it's up to what one you like the looks of better.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Processors aside, since others have commented plenty on that, from a design/durability/materials standpoint, the aluminum one shows few if any grease marks or fingerprints (the blackbook is a smudge magnet), and will not have the cracking plastic issues of the black model. The aluminum also weighs .5 lbs less. and is a few mm thinner.

I have friends with blackbooks, which I used many times over the past couple of years. The look and feel of the aluminum model is far and away sleeker and more solid than theirs.

12. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I have a white MacBook (see signature) with CS4.
    And surprisingly, CS4 runs pretty well on it - I cannot complain.

I haven't used the new MB yet so I cannot talk about that. But I am using CS3 on iMacs(mostly white ones) daily and the feel of running CS4 on my MB and running CS3 on the iMac is basically same.

The Rotate View Tool works and the new 3D stuff seems to work too (but I didn't use it much).
    Right now I have Ps, Ai and Dw open plus Mail and a couple of websites(Firefox) with my MB connected to a 22" LCD and I don't feel any real lag - just expose gets a little slow,...

I too prefer the look of the old MacBook but I would also recommend to spend the extra $300 and get a AlBook - to be a little more future-proof.

Still, the Plastic MacBook is a great machine! :)

13. showkati macrumors regular

blackbook problems:
    -rubber lining can tear
    -track-pad will get oily and it actually looks pretty bad
    -finger prints will show more on the blackbook.

Aluminum MacBook is better in every single way in terms of performance and style. Plus man your gunna want the newest model for snow leopard.

In terms of the looks "growing" on you. You either like it or you don't

14. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Get the new one unless you really, really, really want a firewire port.

15. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Colorware

If you can justify the extra 500 bucks, Colorware PC can get you the best of both worlds :)

16. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

And don't forget that the blackbook...is a crackbook.

17. D.M.S macrumors member

nail on the head right there with "limited photoshop" . go the blackbook then if you prefer the old look.

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Every time i pick up a previous gen MB it feels ancient. NOT SAYING ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THEM (before anybody attacks me :p).... just saying... once i've seen and played with the new Alu, I personally don't see why you would want to get the old one... unless you simply don't like the aluminum look or don't want to spend the extra money...
    bottom line is the new MB feels and looks sleeker and more refined, which makes sense, because like any new product that come on the market, it's SUPPOSED to be better than its predecessor.

19. skorpien macrumors 68020

+1. The OP stated that he likes the look of the old MB, and seeing as it's mostly for email/web, the BlackBook seems like the better choice. Predecessor or not, the previous gen MBs still look sexier than any PCs I've seen to date.

20. morphalex macrumors member

I recommend the Al book as it is far quaility and precision made than the blackbook. Which I have and it creaks when I pick it up. The aluminum is pure solid.

21. kasakka macrumors 68000

The GPU is used only in Photoshop though. It's pretty ****** that the different developer teams for each program can't do any joint efforts because while Photoshop has the canvas rotating and GPU acceleration, Illustrator has a vastly superior Gradient tool etc. Why couldn't they put these in the two main graphics apps? :mad:

Oh and the installer is still directly from HELL, whether you're using OSX or Windows.

22. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Very wise advice. If you prefer one and buy the other, you'll never be happy. And ever is a long time. You'll always ask yourself, "What if I had bought the other one."