last minute questions: tax, extra tidbits, availability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hopefulmacuser, Jun 20, 2009.

1. hopefulmacuser macrumors member

So I've decided on 2.8 15 inch macbook pro with the only upgrade being the $45+ for the 7200 or is it 7400 rpm thing for 500 gb hd.

My last questions are:

one- my mom wants me to ask my cousin to purchase it for us cause she lives in Virginia and we live in California; and if you didnt know the tax in Cali is high. Is thisi worth it/does it matter since I might be purchasing it over the internet.

Also do they hold the model i want in stock in some apple stores?

Lastly, we have to purchase iWork correct? And is mobile me worth it - i do have an iphone, and I'm confused about the preinstallation options when you buy a mbp.

2. boston44 macrumors 6502

I don't see why iWork would be required, although I recommend it for $41 or whatever it is.. As for mobile me, I like it personally. Not a must have though. Tax is really up to you, however it may not be worth the difference if your cousin has to ship the mac back to you..

3. hopefulmacuser thread starter macrumors member

exactly about the tax im trying to rationalize with my parents because ultimately i just tested it on the site
    i save only 100 bucks difference for the tax..
    and i kind of want my macbook before i go to college (im going to east coast for college so we were planning to just stay at my cousins at virginia for one week prior to me moving in)

and another issue is the computer i want available for purchase in retail. because probably the best bet is just take a las vegas trip later this summer and while there purchase it at apple store and bring it back to cali like that. aiyah :p complications for the lose.

thanks for the advice imma look into more about mobile me and see if it will really benefit me.

4. St Soichiro macrumors regular

1. Figure out the cost saved by by VA tax versus CA tax and then shipping it to CA. Purchasing over the internet will cause sales tax to be applied as per the ship-to destination. Finally, this tax issue is not entirely legal, so you may not get very friendly responses to this question.

2. BTO (Build to Order) models are not in stock. BTO happens when you decide to upgrade over the base model. Base models are typically in stock. Only way to find out is to visit or call your local store.

3. You don't have to purchase iWork. There are several threads on MR that discuss the usefulness, or lack thereof, of iWork.

4. 'Mobile me' being worth it? Same answer as #3 above.

5. The basic OS is pre-installed. So are iLife and some other Apple apps. You can typically pick-up some pre-installed apps during hardware purchase, or purchase later and install yourself. But you will have to figure out if they are worth it, as even without any custom apps the MBP would be completely functional.

5. hopefulmacuser thread starter macrumors member

oh dang haha whoops about the legaility issues :D delete topic please lol.

thanks for your input. yeah but surface level wise why cant it be considered legal-cant a relative purchase a graduation gift ;P

yeah i dont like the pure hassel for just less then a hundred dollars maybe only 20-50 dollar save (already calculated it)

thanks again!

6. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

If you dont want to pay tax and you are not planning on getting the educational discount and iPod, then get it at MacMall.