Last Pinta giant tortoise Lonesome George dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by R94N, Jun 25, 2012.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It's a shame he never reproduced.

According to the article, the only time he mated he was apparently shooting blanks. After that, no more mating!

George was either gay, or so depressed after the first try failure, he gave up.

Seriously, it's very sad when a sub species dies out. Extinction of a species is inevitable, but still a sad loss to the planets animal diversity.

3. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

Looking at the Wikipedia article of extinct animals you can't help but feel a little sad. Especially when sometimes it is caused by man.

4. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

Strange, that an animal like a huge tortoise has been alive, doing things and perceiving things and living, far longer than I myself have been doing so... It's too bad that we live in an age where so many organisms are going extinct, and there's very little we can do about it. The progress of humankind moves quickly, and it's momentum holds little regard for the consequences... I wonder if my grandchildren will ever see a real tiger or a chimpanzee...

5. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I was wondering the same thing the other day. Probably not. Tuna will also go extinct shortly, as well as pretty much every symbolic animal. Tigers, rhinos, orangutans, gorillas, and so on...