Last question - will a phone running 10.2 be compatible with any Watch OS?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TH55, Apr 6, 2017.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

Sorry for the multiple threads but I can't seem to get a direct answer to this question and I really want to get an Apple Watch.

I currently have a 6 running 8.2 and don't want to lose my jailbreak, but I'm told I need at least iOS 10 to be compatible with the watch. My plan is to buy an iPhone 6S and the guy at the store said he would work with me to find one w 10.2 which is the only version of iOS 10.x that has a stable Jailbreak.

Now my only question is, once I have a 6S with 10.2, does it matter what version of Watch OS the watch has it will anything over iOS 10 be compatible with any Watch OS? Thanks again, I really appreciate all of the knowledgable people here.

2. usman39003 macrumors newbie

WatchOS 3.1.1 will be Compatible with ios 10.2. WatchOS 3.1.3 is with ios 10.2.1 and watchOS 3.2 is 10.3
    --- Post Merged, Apr 6, 2017 ---
    i would say Watch OS should not be your big concern. Watches don't get updated that often by apple i think. Getting ios 10.2 6S will be the bigger issue. you can always have apple downgrade the watchOS but they wont' be able to downgrade the phone.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

So
    So it does matter which version the watch is on and if it's not 3.1.1 then I'll have to ship it to Apple to downgrade?? How long does that take?

4. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I've never heard of Apple downgrading the watchOS before from what that forum member posted. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I've never heard them downgrading the watchOS for a user by sending it in. Let alone, having watchOS and iOS having complete compatibility with each other, pending the updates installed.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

There is, or at least was, a process for this kind of thing as mentioned at https://9to5mac.com/2015/07/08/downgrade-watch-os/ As far as how it applies to just any user asking to downgrade from any particular version to any particular version (vs. just downgrading from a bata, for example), or whether or not Apple scrutinizes the requests and only goes forward with the ones they deem to be fitting, or anything else like that, that's a somewhat separate and perhaps more important question in the context of this thread.

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

And considering the fact its because of a jailbreaking purpose. The OP wants iOS 10.2 due to the fact he can use it for a jailbreak, which if Apple understood his intent to want to downgrade watchOS due to the fact, I'm not so sure they be willing to assist in a situation as his. But again, I don't have enough knowledge on jailbreaking or downgrading watchOS, for reasons such as this. Perhaps Apple would be the best source in this matter.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm guessing the whole jailbreaking part would likely not be something that would be specified to Apple as part of a request to downgrade. It's more down to whether or not Apple does these types of things simply on user request and can install essentially whatever version that the user might request--all of that is not that likely, even if there is some process that exists for Apple to do something like this (so far mostly in relation to switching between beta updates and regular updates).

8. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Truthfully, I've never heard of Apple downgrading watchOS, at least reported from any other forum members. That just seems like a lot of work to purchase an Apple Watch and send in the Apple Watch to Apple to downgrade to watchOS and have them send it back to you, then, you're ultimately keeping dated OS For the sake of a jailbreak. And I will admit, I don't have enough experience to say how this whole process would go. But it appears very confusing and not very clear the of what steps to take, if any.

9. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Once again, no one seems to be able to answer my simple question: what version(s) of watch OS is/are compatible with iOS 10.2??

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Since wOS 3.2 uses APFS it should require iOS 10.3 to transfer files.

11. Relentless Power, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Actually, your question WAS answered in Post #2 if you read back, It appears WatchOS 3.1.1 is compatible with iOS 10.2 (If that's accurate).

Second, perhaps no one has a definitive answer to your question, being most have upgraded to iOS 10.3/WatchOS 3.2 and are NOT jail broken. Other forum members have offered their initial feedback on how to research your scenario, being there are few jailbroken iPhones in a Watch forum. It's already been suggested to contact Apple with your question. And again, in order to downgrade your Watch OS (If need be), you will have to go through Apple as is, depending what Version of WatchOS your Apple Watch has upon purchase to match 10.2.

12. TH55, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017

TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I know that's why I posted this in the iPhone General discussion but it was moved here. I tried contacting Apple and they were not helpful at all. Might just buy the 6S w 10.2 and the watch and see if it works, if not I can always return them.