Last Version MBP or New Base MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by K.E.P., Oct 16, 2008.

1. K.E.P. macrumors newbie

I have decided to get a macbook pro. I have two options

Older 2.4mhz, 4 gig ram, 160 gig (7200), 15 inch or

new 2.4, 250 HD, upgraded graphics and design.

I mainly run ilife with some photoshop and final cut, but nothing extensive.

The older (new in box) mbp version is about $400 cheaper.

Thoughts?

2. Whits macrumors member

My advice would be to get the old Macbook Pro with a matte screen. The graphics card isn't going to make a huge difference unless you are planning on using it for gaming at all. If the new glossy, glass screen is at all like the iMac displays, then they're hell to work with when it comes to graphics.

I used with a glass/glossy screen iMac for a while doing graphics work and it looked great, but made the colors richer than they actually printed and had to surround myself with poster board to keep out the glare.

Note: I haven't seen the new MBP in person.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. GCY macrumors regular

I'm trying to decide btw the 2 as well.
    anyone know how much faster is the new MBP(base model) compared with the previous gen base model?

I was looking at the refurb 2.5GHz 512MB Nvildia for $1499 but that seem to be all gone.

5. Nosfera macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure the new model isn't that big of an improvement performance wise.

And I'm very fortunate to buy a 2.5 ghz last gen MBP last night for 1499. This morning they were gone. :D

6. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

7. Banacek macrumors 6502

That's what has me worried. Since the issue effects 100% of those machines I think I might pass.

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Amazon has the 2.5gHz MB Pro for $1644! That is a brilliant piece of machinery ;)

Between the cache and 512MB GPU it is worth the price difference from the old 2.4 MBP.

The GPU is covered even outside warranty. Just do eeet!

9. ariesfeng macrumors member

I just bought the 2.5GHz Macbook pro from Amazon for $1794. It's last generation and I think it's enough for my work.

I could be wrong, but I did not see any significant improvement on the new Mac Book Pro

10. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I bought the previous generation 2.5 MBP brand new for $1599, I am so glad that I decided to do that, it saved me lots of money, and I do not think that the higher price of the new one is worth it.