Last Year x Pre Order x iPad 2 [obviously]

Discussion in 'iPad' started by puppyflightclub, Mar 2, 2011.

1. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

its sorta odd, for those of you who were rocking on the forums this time last year, well not THIS TIME but this time meaning the moments before the last iPad was announced, they didn't even allow iPad to be pre-ordered until like a month later or something, but nevertheless the store is down now.

am i making an interesting point, or is it meaningless?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Meaningless. The Store often goes down around Apple events.

3. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Meaningless since there are at least 2 other threads on this same topic of the store being down. Just scroll down the page a little.

4. inott macrumors member

I think they will offer it today. If not immediately shipping, a couple weeks delay at most.

Got my card ready.

5. puppyflightclub thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah but what does that have to do with me explaining how it went last year in comparison to this time, i don't remember the store being down for the iPad last year...well it might just to put up the splash page for the pre-orders coming soon.

6. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Because the iPad was a new product last year. There was no threat of cutting into iPad sales because there was no iPad, so they probably announced it right before filing with the FCC then released it a couple months later.

This year they're replacing an existing product. Sales of the old model will plummet immediately, so the new model needs to be available within the week. Which I expect it to be.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Mostly meaningless. Last year they were introducing a product for a market segment that really didn't exist. This year they are likely announcing an update to an existing product.

Market availability is likely to be drastically different given the situational difference.

8. puppyflightclub thread starter macrumors 6502

i hope so too.

9. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

I think since this is an exisiting product line, we can expect preorders to happen immediately following the event. I suspect it will go on sale within the next few weeks. This isn't like last year where the factories were still working on tooling capacity and Apple was waiting on FCC approval, etc.

10. puppyflightclub thread starter macrumors 6502

ohhhhh yeah that was a factor!