Last years 2.2ghz vs this years 2.4ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fishnugget, May 14, 2008.

1. fishnugget macrumors newbie

Can't make up my mind which pro to get. $1999 for new model, $1529 for last years 2.2?

Are there any major differences? i am a PC user converting but must run XP for some business programs.

Any thoughts? I am so confused.

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The "old" 2.2GHz and the "new" 2.4GHz is not much different.
    The new 2.4GHz holds a bit newer processor (penryn) which uses a bit less power thus giving the 2.4GHz a sligth advantage in battery life.
    The old 2.2GHz have a bigger cache (4 mb vs 3 mb in the 2.4GHz)
    The 2.4GHz have twice the graphics ram, but unless you are into high res gaming it won't matter at all.

The things that matters is that the new 2.4GHz is stock with a 200GB hd and the 2.2GHz usually had a 120GB.

Look are identical, they have the same keyboard and same screen.

So is 80GB extra HD space and roughly 5% more cpu power worth 470 bucks?
    I'd say no, since you'll get a external keyboard and mouse and perhaps a decent external screen for that kinda of money, or something else you wanna spend your money on.

3. MacBook Xeon macrumors newbie

IMO, its much better to go with the new one. But wait till June, or May of 09.
    Thats when the REAL new stuff gets released ;)

And there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in processors.
    It basically Merom vs. Penryn

Penryn is about twice as small, and uses less power, and outputs less heat.

4. fishnugget thread starter macrumors newbie

Just looking for performance

Wont be doing a ton of graphics.
    Do you think best to get Applecare warranty. ? Also conerned if I drop unit & it breaks?

Heard I could get accidental plan from safeware.

Any good?

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

6. DCSMAC macrumors member

in the refurb store the 2.4 penryn is $250 more than the 2.2 merom. Considering that this $250 gets you a cooler laptop, 20-30 minutes more battery life, an additional 80gb of hard drive, double the VRAM, multitouch, and the ability to utilize SSE4 instructions, i think it is definitally worth it.

7. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

8. Shabbis macrumors regular

Actually the keyboard layout changed between the 2.2 and the 2.4, specifically the function buttons.

9. ANTdod macrumors newbie

ANTdod

Fishnugget, I suggest you go with 2.2. It is enough. Especially that you don't plan to do any graphic design. MBP is a powerful laptop!

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Attached Files:

11. akm3 macrumors 68020

If you aren't a gamer, the most important difference between them is the new 2.4 has multi touch and better battery / cooler.

12. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Get the Penryn 2.4 (refurb), because you never know what the graphics requirements of a new OS may be.

13. valvehead macrumors regular

I consider the cooler running processor to be a big plus. I routinely use my MBP on my lap. It only gets too warm if I am doing something processor heavy. In that case I just crank the fans up a little.

Initially I didn't think I would care for multitouch, but now I love it. With the addition of MultiClutch, you can set how each application reacts to the gestures.

14. akm3 macrumors 68020

I felt the same way about multitouch. (My wife has it in her Macbook Air). I thought it was gimmicky, but I tried it out and VERY quickly adapted to it. Browsing with a combinition of two finger scrolling and three finger swiping was *perfect*. Only a few minutes later I went back to my work Dell and subconsciously tried to use the gestures and realized - they aren't there.

Multitouch converted me from 'gimmick' to 'believer' in just a few minutes.

-Allen

15. bestthereis27 macrumors member

I was on the same boat as you. I decided to get the 2.2 model as the extra money didn't justify the small extras. I used the money I saved for 4GB of Ram and a 320GB harddrive. I dont play games and i really never use it for that long on battery alone, so it was a no brainer. I am very happy with my decision.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

And the end result is that you get slightly better battery life and slightly cooler operation. If you consider that "significant," than what would you consider "minor?"

17. akm3 macrumors 68020

I agree it isn't 'significant', but it is more than minor.

Minor might be going from a 2.5 Penryn to a 2.6 Penryn.