Lastest Apple TC Showing DISCONNECTED from Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by deeve, Mar 13, 2014.

1. deeve macrumors member

I have a current Gen Apple TC 2GB version that I have been running for about 4 months or so. I also use an APE as my wifi extender. RUnning through the TC LAN ports are connected to a PS4 and my TV. Other machines that are connected wirelessly are MBP, Iphones and Ipads.

I tried rebooting both the TC and the modem (SB 6141) to no avail. This morning I changed the DNS to Google and that seemed to work. The house emptied for the day and when I came back the internet was working, but very slowly. I checked with Airport Utility and saw that it would give me an orange ball on the internet saying it was disconnected. I tried changing the DNS to OpenDNS and that worked for about 10 minutes before the internet disconnected came up again. I switched back to Google DNS and it worked for a short period of time.

I am not sure what is going on, but somehow changing the DNS temporarily fixes the problem. Nothing has been changed on the TC since I set it up.

I am now running the APE is the router connected to the modem to see if that has the same problem. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    DAVE

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

So what's the update with the APE and the router? Also, if you have one of the tower TCs, unless your floor plan is huge (think 4000 sq feet) or you have concrete walls, I think you'll see better wifi by using only the TC (assuming we can get it to work correctly).

Wirelessly extending the network is a sure fire way to drastically reduce performance.

3. deeve thread starter macrumors member

I do have a tower TC. I actually set the APE to use so I could get a LAN to my TIVO upstairs. I had a wireless adapter, but is disappeared. The APE was filling in for that duty and the wireless extender was a side benefit. I wonder if I could use it just as a wireless adapter?

The APE seems to be doing ok. I have watching the Airport Utility on my MBP while I used the PS4 (BF4!!) and I did notice that the internet icon will switch to orange for half a second or so before going back green every once in a while.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Express can be used as simply a client USB and LAN port. To do this, reset it and set it to join the Time Capsule's network.

The Time Capsule seems to need to be reset. Run an Ethernet cable from the LAN port on the modem to the WAN port on the TC. Hold a paperclip in the reset hole, and plug in power. Wait for the rapidly blinking light before releasing!

Then fire up trusty AirPort Utility and configure it to create the wireless network. Then reset the Express and have it join. Once confirmed working, you can import all your settings like DHCP reservations and such if you had them to the TC.

Please ensure you are running 7.7.2 firmware on the Time Capsule (TC) and 7.6.4 on the Express. The new firmwares address issues with disconnecting clients, particularly iOS devices.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I'd do almost everything suggested but ignore the the APE and Tivo for now - just see if your TC can get stable first. Just unplug the APE.

Go to your corners and run some speedtests so when you decide to add back the APE, you can see if the wifi is better or worse.

6. deeve thread starter macrumors member

TC is back up and running after a reset. We will see how it goes. I am running it without the AE currently. I'll post an update in a bit. Thanks!!

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Sounds like a temporary ISP or DNS problem to me. One of Google's DNS servers was having an issue yesterday.

8. deeve thread starter macrumors member

Well, the problem is back. The TC is having the disconnect problem. I am going to replace it with my AE and let that run for a while. I don't the the google DNA issues are to blame because I had the same issues with the opendns servers as well.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have had this issue also with a bad modem. Try and swap it if the ISP allows.

10. deeve thread starter macrumors member

Lastest Apple TC Showing DISCONNECTED from Internet

Actually purchased this modem from Amazon so it's not a leased one from Comcast. I have emailed Motorola support to see if they can help out… Hopefully they can. As a sidenote, the Airport Express seems to be working okay so I don't know if it's the modem or the Time Capsule

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

For some reason, the AirPort Express is less troublesome on modem choice as the Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme. Don't know why... Have you ensured your running 7.7.2? Also check the modem's firmware!

12. deeve thread starter macrumors member

I am running 7.7.2 and the firmware is up to date. I checked the modem signal levels and it was good.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It may sound outlandish but have you replaced the cable from the modem to the TC? Also, the modem is just a simple modem and not a router right?

14. deeve thread starter macrumors member

I have not replaced the cable, but good idea. I will try it. The modem is just a modem. It is a motorola SB6141

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Give it a shot and I will research that modem to see any particular ideas.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

17. deeve thread starter macrumors member

Bit of an update..I called Apple Tech support Sunday and they walked me through a couple of things, to include changing the broadcast channel and splitting the 2.4/5 channels to see if it was occurring on one over the other. It occurred on both-often. I disconnected the TC and ran the AE without a problem. Yesterday I ran down to the Apple Store and they replaced the TC with a new on. So far, so good and I am cautiously optimistic that it was a bad TC.

Thanks for all the help trying to figure this out!
    DAVE

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Let's see what happens! I would love to see you report back with your results every week for a couple of weeks.

19. deeve thread starter macrumors member

So far everything is working very well. No disconnection problems reported

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Great to hear!

21. deeve thread starter macrumors member

22. deeve thread starter macrumors member

Final long overdue update...the problem has not returned and everything is working well.

DAVE