Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following in the footsteps of Dashlane, popular password management app LastPass has also debuted a new "Auto-Password Change" feature that is designed to let users enable a setting for automatic password changes.

Introduced last week to the company's Pre-Build Team, the new Auto-Password Change in LastPass is now available for all beta users in Chrome, Safari, and Firefox at no charge.

According to LastPass, Auto-Password Change has been developed to help its users initiate frequent password changes following major security incidents like Heartbleed, an OpenSSL vulnerability that left hundreds of thousands of machines open to malcious attacks.

lastpasschangepassword.png
We're excited to announce that the Auto-Password Change feature we released to our Pre-Build Team last week is now available for all users in beta. LastPass can now change passwords for you, automatically. We're releasing this feature for free to all our users, on Chrome, Safari, and Firefox (starting with version 3.1.70).

Maintaining your privacy and security is our top priority. That's why we're doing this differently. We've implemented this feature to make password changes locally on your machine, ensuring we stay true to our mission and never have access to your data. All of your sensitive information is encrypted on your computer before syncing, and your encryption key is never shared with LastPass.
Auto-Password Change supports 75 popular websites, like Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Pinterest, and Dropbox. In LastPass, users can turn on the feature by clicking "Edit" for a supported site and then clicking on "Change Password Automatically."

After choosing the password update option, LastPass will open a new tab, log into the site and create a new password, updating the information both on the site and within LastPass.

Earlier today, competing password management app Dashlane unveiled a similar "Password Changer" feature, which also allows users to implement easy password changes. Dashlane's new password changing functionality is somewhat more comprehensive than LastPass's password-by-password solution, as it can allow users to change all of their passwords with a single click.

LastPass is available for free on iOS and Mac with ads, but a $12 per year subscription gets rid of the ads, adds priority tech support, and multi-factor authentication. The browser extension can be downloaded from the LastPass website while the iOS app can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: LastPass Debuts 'Auto-Password Change' Feature for Easy Password Changes

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
I will definitely do this. I've got a bunch of old/duplicated passwords I should change and have been too lazy to fix.

Hurmoth

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
Hoping that 1Password follows this and does it too, but kudos to Dashlane and Lastpast for doing this though. It would help a lot of us, like octothorpe8, who are lazy and don't feel like going to every single site to change the password.

mw360

macrumors 68010
Aug 15, 2010
This is great. 1password can't be far behind. The various websites and services have made it too difficult to change passwords quickly (hard to find pages, arbitrary password rules, etc.) Acceptance of this kind of global password reset can't come some enough.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
How's this vs 1Password? 1Password for OS X is quite pricey.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
How's this vs 1Password? 1Password for OS X is quite pricey.

There were some things I like more on 1Password, but LastPass is $12 a year (unless you like ads, and I don't. According to their site, the free doesn't get unlimited sync on iOS or Android). One of the things I didn't like was my info (passwords) are on their servers, and 1Password it's local (unless you use Dropbox to sync). Unless that changed, but a lot of people like this one and Dashlane too. It's all fine, I think it's just important now a days to use a different, long, and unique password for everything.

So far I have nothing but great things to say about my experience with 1Password. The support is great and I like the product. Just keep the look out, they always have sales.

Last edited:

Dezryth

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
Plano, TX
This is a really cool feature! I'm surprised this post isn't getting more visibility.

I had a conversation with a coworker the other day who refuses to use password managers. He thinks it's much better to have ~4 different passwords memorized in his head that he uses everywhere. One day he'll see the light!

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
This is a really cool feature! I'm surprised this post isn't getting more visibility.

I had a conversation with a coworker the other day who refuses to use password managers. He thinks it's much better to have ~4 different passwords memorized in his head that he uses everywhere. One day he'll see the light!

it took me a while to realize that I don't need to remember all my passwords, but now I can't live without my password manager. Even when I 1st got 1Password, I was afraid to make passwords over 10 characters and took me a while.

This is a cool feature, but don't some websites need you to confirm a new password (by email) before it even goes though?

Dezryth

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
Plano, TX
I've already tested it with Mint and Facebook. Works really well. I'm sure some sites it will just not be compatible with.

The only downside I've experienced to using a password manager is when I'm on my phone trying to log in with an app. I have to pull up and copy my password from my vault in the LastPass app. Minor inconvenience considering the security of all my accounts. I'm hoping that as touchID becomes more prevalent in third party apps I'll eventually never have to enter a username/login on my phone again!

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Convenient.... .. but u are trusting it actually do it..

Been using LP for well over a year, as good as having something make my life easier as auto change of my passwords, i'd rather do it myself manually, since i know nothing will go wrong.

With any auto stuff, u have no idea.

It's called "being selective" and its quite cool :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.