Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Password management app LastPass [Direct Link] today announced that new users joining the service will be able to sign up for free without having to pay for a LastPass Premium or Enterprise subscription on mobile devices. Those users who get started on iOS, Android, or Windows will be able to use the service and even sync passwords amongst other smartphones for free.

Blog-12-800x294.jpg
Now, if you get started with LastPass on your Android, iPhone, or Windows Phone, you'll have completely free access from your smartphone, and can even sync across smartphones for free. The same is true for tablets, if that's where you get started.

We want to ensure that LastPass is accessible for all users, including mobile-only users who need help managing their passwords and apps. Wherever you get started, you can use LastPass on that device, and any others of the same device type - desktops, smartphones, or tablets - for free!
The company even promises that wherever a user gets started -- be it on desktop, mobile, or a tablet -- they will be able to use and sync LastPass on that device and any device of the same type. Users who then want a more robust experience, and be able to migrate from mobile to tablet to desktop, will need to sign up for a LastPass Premium subscription for $12 per year.

Before it had a dedicated Mac app, the service was a web-only password management tool which has now grown to include features like quick search, secure logins, and automatic password change. LastPass promises that existing users can expect to continue using the service "without any changes" to their current experience. New users interested in testing out the desktop version can sign up for a 14-day free trial of the LastPass service on the Mac app [Direct Link].

Article Link: LastPass Introduces Subscription-Free Mobile App Update

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
The company even promises that wherever a user gets started -- be it on desktop, mobile, or a tablet -- they will be able to use and sync LastPass on that device and any device of the same type.

Users who then want a more robust experience, and be able to migrate from mobile to tablet to desktop, will need to sign up for a LastPass Premium subscription for $12 per year.

So I can sync my smartphone LastPass keychain to ALL of my smartphones for free? That's so very generous of them considering how oh-so-many people have more than one smartphone.

Comment

jgallant1990

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Bournemouth, UK
So I can sync my smartphone LastPass keychain to ALL of my smartphones for free? That's so very generous of them considering how oh-so-many people have more than one smartphone.

Agreed. I know us users are spoilt when it comes down to free services, but either post a solid free offering or have a secure, reliable paid offering. A few quid a month might not be much money, but when you add up all the different subscriptions it... adds up.

From my experience, the mac app sometimes crashes, the browser plugins are buggy and without being willing to pay for a subscription I've not been able to benefit from the mobile app. Not experienced any benefit over Keychain Access to be honest.

Comment

zauriel

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2007
Nixa, MO
So if you sign up on mobile, then mobile will be free? But the desktop pluggins will require a subscription?

I'm confused. What exactly is free and what still requires a subscription?

This. They appear to say that wherever you start -- mobile, tablet, or desktop -- you can continue to use the service on that platform and similar platforms for free. Yet the end of the article states the desktop Mac app just comes with a 14-day free trial. If I start with the desktop Mac app, shouldn't it be free for that and any other desktops I own?

Comment

ScottHammet

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
LastPass would be better served to concentrate on the number of bugs in their browser and desktop apps. I've been a subscriber for 2 years, and it seems like every 3rd release reintroduces some bug that was fixed before. Current versions of the browser and Mac desktop apps are barely usable, unless you like having passwords out of sync, being constantly prompted for multi factor authorization, even on Trusted devices, glitchy Safari integration that often won't fill out passwords unless you restart the browser, etc., etc.

Reactions: apunkrockmonk
Comment

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
So I just tried (<— key word) to try this out and I'm definitely sticking with 1Password. Yes, 1Password costs money up-front, but I've already bought it, and they let me sync as many devices as I want via iCloud instead of a yearly fee. Most importantly, I've noticed a lot of iOS developers have been adding the 1password button in their apps to automatically pull in my info if a login is needed to access the app, and it's honestly the best thing ever (hyperbole, I know).

But yeah... I've had an account with LastPass for like 6? years that I don't use and tried to sign in with it on my mobile. I thought that it would be smart enough to have/store different vaults for my different types of devices, or at the very least be able to select what type of device I want to use my account on, but trying to log into mobile with an existing account says that the account is "desktop only" and to pony up the money or go away. Granted, if I really wanted I could create new accounts with new emails for each device type, but that's just adding needless complexity to my life (considering LastPass's tagline is "Simplify your life.").

Reactions: DogHouseDub
Comment

hart_junior

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2015

I can't believe how many people will complain about something they get for FREE!!! All those bad companies out there just wanting to charge me for something. :( Oh, wait . . . that's how capitalism works. If you don't think free is cheap enough, just don't use the service.

Comment

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
Holy **** My reading comprehension has failed me so hard right now. Or there was a lot of contradictions with what I just read in OP.

Comment

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Here is the thing, I use all apple stuff in my personal life. I have Apple's keychain for free and it does the job of storing the passwords securely. It's integration across devices is not that great. but it's free, it's default, and it's easy. At work where they still have no clue what SSO stands for, I use LastPass IE extension to manage all my work related passwords. I have heard that 1Password is the king of keychains, but Lastpass at least is free for the web interface, which is all I really need to deal with the mess that is my company (when it comes to passwords).

Comment

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
I believe, but could easily be wrong, that the final outcome is this...
If you start using it on a mobile device, it is free across your mobile devices.
If you start using it on a desktop, it is free across desktops (includes laptops).
If you want the two universes (desk/laptop to mobile) to sync, you need a subscription.

Comment

Sheza

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2010
So if you sign up on mobile, then mobile will be free? But the desktop pluggins will require a subscription?

I'm confused. What exactly is free and what still requires a subscription?
Lastpass desktop browser plugins are free to use, period.

However, syncing between devices i.e. adding a password entry on one device and having it show up on another has been a premium feature, and until recently mobile apps have been a premium feature. NOW - if you started on mobile, it'll sync between all your mobile devices but it won't sync to the desktop plugins unless you pay the subscription. But you can still use the desktop plugins for free - it just won't sync any entries from your phone. If you started on the desktop it's just like before, no different.

As it boils down to it, LastPass has support for more platforms, and is far cheaper than 1Password. I don't know how 1Password does two-factor authentication but it was a doddle to set up with Lastpass.

Reactions: nontroppo
Comment

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Still waiting for a LastPass representative to post a clarification...

(Whenever 1Password is the subject of a front-page MacRumors story, representatives of AgileBits actively take part in the comments by answering our questions and addressing our concerns.)

Comment

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
WTF did I just read. I come into this article thinking there's no subscription. So its either free or you pay for the service/app once and that's it until the next version.

So how many goldfish were saved? The article never answered that.

Reactions: noisycats
Comment

nontroppo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
LastPass would be better served to concentrate on the number of bugs in their browser and desktop apps. I've been a subscriber for 2 years, and it seems like every 3rd release reintroduces some bug that was fixed before. Current versions of the browser and Mac desktop apps are barely usable, unless you like having passwords out of sync, being constantly prompted for multi factor authorization, even on Trusted devices, glitchy Safari integration that often won't fill out passwords unless you restart the browser, etc., etc.

You seem unlucky; at least on Blink-based browsers the extension has worked almost flawlessly for me for years. I've never ever had 1 sync issue across 4 operating systems, multiple browsers and many devices. It has been rock solid.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.