Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
What's the benefit to this over using keychain?

Keychain is only good on Apple products. I can't speak for this app, but 1Password is cross-platform and works great on my Kindle Fire HDX. If I used keychain, I'd forever be pulling my hair out with passwords and web sites on the Kindle. For 99% of the sites, I used the very long random generated passwords.

r3loaded

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
LastPass has one huge advantage over 1Password or Dashlane - Linux compatibility by virtue of being a browser extension.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I was debating between LastPass and 1Password recently and the two-factor authentication that LastPass provides won me over. Since these products hold ALL your passwords I personally need more protection than just a password to protect it.

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
1Password also works everywhere, but that's your option. You can sync via wifi, iCloud, or Dropbox. Using Dropbox you can use 1PasswordAnywhere and you can access it from any computer you want. If you're worried about you info on someone's severs, you can sync over wifi (your own network).

I love the fact that I can use my own network for syncing if I want. Right now I use Dropbox because it works nicely, and I can sync mulitple vaults too at the same time..

A lot of companies block access to Dropbox or iCloud for security reason so 1password has never been a good option for me. Wifi sync is also not an option.

LastPass always works and no need to install anything other then a browser extension. So for me the decision is easy.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
If 1pass don't add the Dashline features of
automatically detecting when yo bought something and making a receipt
and
the security feature of emailing someone if you died, then i'm moving to dashlane :s

Last edited:

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
What's the benefit to this over using keychain?

1. works across cross-platform
  2. much easier to search for a password in a password manager (on an iOS device at least).
  3. a lot of sites have 2 step verification (dropbox, gmail, Outlook, Apple, and so on) and when you use 2 step verification, you get an emergency passcode (one time use), and you can also store that in the password manager.
  4. my wife and I share our vaults (1Password) for bills and stuff. You can't share a keychain.
  5. Password managers also hold other things besides passwords; software licenses, Wifi network settings (not just the password), secured notes, and I put notes in on some log-ins like what email I use for that account.
  6. I also think the iOS version of Keychain, it always uses a "-" between stuff and some sites can only use letters and numbers. In 1Password I can customize what I want in a password.

Still more work than using 1Password. I never leave my Mac logged in.... and I use FileVault. But if someone didn't use FileVault, even if they were logged out, you can get into a password protected account and then I have access to all the sites Safari saves logins to.

Save all the trouble and use a password manager.
I haven't noticed anything and I think it's very easy. I log into my Macbook, log into 1Password and it's open until I log out. I listed above why I use it too.

Keychain is only good on Apple products. I can't speak for this app, but 1Password is cross-platform and works great on my Kindle Fire HDX. If I used keychain, I'd forever be pulling my hair out with passwords and web sites on the Kindle. For 99% of the sites, I used the very long random generated passwords.

Same here. I use 1Password and use the DropBox syncing because it acts as a back up too. If for some reason I lose my iPhone and have to get a cheap phone for a while, I can still access it with no problems.

I was debating between LastPass and 1Password recently and the two-factor authentication that LastPass provides won me over. Since these products hold ALL your passwords I personally need more protection than just a password to protect it.
I use 1Password and use 2 step verification on any account that has it. I never had an issue and I just use an authenticator app

A lot of companies block access to Dropbox or iCloud for security reason so 1password has never been a good option for me. Wifi sync is also not an option.

LastPass always works and no need to install anything other then a browser extension. So for me the decision is easy.

That is true about DropBox. I just find it great that others use a password manager. My issue with LastPass was my info is on their servers, just something about it that it didn't sit well with me.

Last edited:

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I find it a little weird that it resembles Dashlane so much. Then again, it's a password manager... they're all bound to look the same just like all email software looks similar, all browsers look similar, etc.

I just fully switched from LastPass to Dashlane myself about 2 weeks ago.
What I don't like about Dashlane is the price. $40 a year is a bit steep.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
1Password is my app of choice.

Mostly because I've dropped so much cash for it over the years, especially with my Yosemite upgrade fiasco. I still get angry over that one.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

It’s indeed a pretty good reason. 1Password for iOS seems to have lost the option of a temporary passcode/Touch ID authentication as alternative for the master password somewhere around the release of iOS 8. Now you can unlock your 1Password app with a simple passcode or with Touch ID, without having to enter your master password at all.

I was actually considering to switch, but ultimately 1Password’s far bigger advantage is that you can use it without any cloud backend and use Wi-Fi sync instead. This data doesn’t have to be in the cloud and I don’t trust any company enough that they can keep my data safe on their servers, even if they promise to encrypt and store it securely.

tfigs

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
Been using LastPass Premium for several years now and I am completely satisfied. I did give 1Password a one month trial. It is a nice looking app but LastPass works seamlessly and syncs across platforms. Sticking with it. Not sure of the usefulness of an app as it works great within Safari.

theone09

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2008
Been using LastPass Premium for several years now and I am completely satisfied. I did give 1Password a one month trial. It is a nice looking app but LastPass works seamlessly and syncs across platforms. Sticking with it. Not sure of the usefulness of an app as it works great within Safari.

If you are using lastpass and get an yubikey from yubico for multifactor authentication, then you are superb :)

Last edited:

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
I personally prefer Keychain, but I also use 1Password where Keychain can't help me as quickly. Safari 8 has a problem where it won't auto-fill from the Keychain on my locally-hosted development websites (on .dev domains). This is very frustrating, so I use 1Password for several of those sites to speedup logins. Of course, this is a very specialized situation, and the average user would not encounter it.
Do you really need strong passwords on .dev domains though? :)

I use 1Password too, the only problem I have with it is too slow UI because of overlay delays. (I almost always copy/paste the password because auto-login fails way too often)

I would love better browser and mobile apps (Android) integration.

temhawk

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
a lot of sites have 2 step verification (dropbox, gmail, Outlook, Apple, and so on) and when you use 2 step verification, you get an emergency passcode (one time use), and you can also store that in the password manager.

Why would you want to store a one-time-use password?

Password managers also hold other things besides passwords; software licenses, Wifi network settings (not just the password), secured notes, and I put notes in on some log-ins like what email I use for that account.

You can store notes in Keychain.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Why would you want to store a one-time-use password?
It's a recover password for 2 step verification. If you lose your phone and need to get into that account, that recover password/one time password is the ONLY way you will get in to that account again.
This is a perfect example why that password is so important:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1827259/

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2014/12...t-hard-way-careful-two-factor-authentication/

You can store notes in Keychain.
I do not see that option at all on my iPhone in the keychain. If you're talking about the Note pad, that is saved in plain text and isn't protected.

Last edited:

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
What I don't like about Dashlane is the price. $40 a year is a bit steep.

I agree. They do have a 30 day free trial of premium and tend to have a sale once a year. I think they had a sale of 3 years of premium for $39 bucks last year. I missed -__-.

But in the end, I don't mind paying for something like this. I see it as helping them develop new features. It's still a fairly new company. In this day and age it's very easy to jump between similar/competing software. Dashalane has import features for LastPass, 1Password, etc. So it was easy to move my passwords over. I'm sure I can switch back to LastPass just as easy if Dashlane becomes stagnant.

Basilfawltyone

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
Another nice thing with OneSafe is that it sores the information decrypted in your cloud, not as clear text as other safe apps does.

Understand that 1Password in example is storing your bankinfo, credit cards etc. in clear text on DropBox. Nothing that you are told by the company before buying but read it from other users blogs and reviews at the App store.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Understand that 1Password in example is storing your bankinfo, credit cards etc. in clear text on DropBox.

Any source for that? Because it is really hard to believe that 1Password is not encrypting everything.

----------

If 1pass don't add the Dashline features of
automatically detecting when yo bought something and making a receipt

I disagree with that, a password manages has to be dedicated to security, not to receipt management

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Another nice thing with OneSafe is that it sores the information decrypted in your cloud, not as clear text as other safe apps does.

Understand that 1Password in example is storing your bankinfo, credit cards etc. in clear text on DropBox. Nothing that you are told by the company before buying but read it from other users blogs and reviews at the App store.

1Password encrypts everything, it's NOT in clear text in Dropbox. I use Dropbox for syncing, and when I go on dropbox.com, I can only access my info by putting in my master password. No password, you're not getting in. I see this vault also in Dropbox, but no one is getting in unless they have my master password.
Here is some more info about using cloud storage and 1Password.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/4/en/topic/cloud-safety

https://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

https://blog.agilebits.com/tag/cryptography_/

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Your understanding of 1Password is woefully inaccurate.

In less than 10 minutes, you could have determined (by testing 1Password) whether the information you read was true.

Basilfawltyone

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
I stand corrected! 1Password DO encrypt your stuff when saving it to Dropbox. I checked it out and I was wrong.

I still like OneSafe better as my safe app but things should be presented correctly.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
With Keychain, I can sit at your computer, and if you are not logged out, I can go to any site you have a password saved, keychain will input it, and I can do anything I want. With 1Password, and I'm presuming this app, you need to first enter your master 1Password to be able to auto-fill logins. Been using 1Password for years. I NEVER save any logins in the keychain. Not as secure as 1Password.

I'm a recent convert to 1Password from Keychain but this statement is simply untrue if you have ever looked at the Keychain preferences. For any keychain on the Mac you can choose a separate password than your login password, and, you can set what time period can elapse before it will lock (same as 1Password). If Keychain is properly used it is no less secure than 1Password. In either use-case you simply cannot walk away from your Mac unless you have locked Keychain or 1Password first.

With that said, 1Password is certainly more secure and convenient than using Keychain in conjunction with browsers like Chrome (yes Chrome does use Keychain). I'm loving 1Password and appreciate the polish, security, and support it provides.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.