Late 05 Macbook Pro DEAD...need replacement advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ILMSTMF, Jul 13, 2009.

1. ILMSTMF macrumors newbie

If I could give more detailed specs, I would. A relative's MBP seems to have died. They are reporting that the power light flashes as if the machine is in sleep mode but it will not wake up. They have tried unplugging/replugging, resetting SMU, resetting PRAM...nothing boots the machine back up.
    I believe it was purchased late in 2005, it is 17 inches and the clock speed might be just over 2Ghz. All signs are pointing to the logic board being fried and the estimated repair cost by my local shop is ~$870. Why bother at this point? Might as well get a new (used) MBP for that price. Even if they had purchased AppleCare, this would have been out of warranty at this point.

Which is where this lovely community comes into the picture...They will need something comparable to this machine and, perhaps, something that's a bit more "with the times" than this 3+ year old model. Not the latest models (would like an ExpressCard slot for an eSATA adapter) but something that would be quick enough to run FCP with (perhaps) a few streams of simultaneous HD with no dropped frames. Not sure if any laptop can handle that application...I digress.

All suggestions for which model/where to purchase are welcome, thanks!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

So just like the last generation's MacBook Pro's?

3. ILMSTMF thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm? You mean the last generation of MBPs suffered from logic board failures or...? Sorry, I'm not terribly familiar with the Mac line of laptops.

4. ILMSTMF thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone? Budget is in the low $1000 area.

Thanks!

5. Nintenmac macrumors newbie

I would suggest to go to the refurbished section of the online apple store and look for the unibody MBPs, either the 2.4 or 2.53, either will be more power and are around low $1000's, if not then look on mac mall where you can get previous generation macs for good prices, however I have not dealt with them before so I cannot vouch for them in terms of customer service.

6. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

i think you will have trouble finding a newer machine for under 1k, i checked refurb store and ebay you may want to try craigslist or just get it replaced unless an imac is an option?

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The last model of the pre unibody mbps with the nvidia 8600 graphics card is reported to have high failure rates to do a manufacturing deficiency with nvidia's subcontractors. Unfortunately, the graphics card is part of the logic board. Apple is reputedly replacing defective units within three years of original purchase. If you can find one less than three years old on cl for 1K and baby it, it MAY be a viable option. You could even use the failure rates as a basis to negotiate the price downward.

Or, find a slightly older 2.16 or 2.33 early core 2 duo with the ati card.

8. ILMSTMF thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your helpful answers everyone. I'll let you know what we come up with.

9. boston44 macrumors 6502

You should be able to find a 2.16 on clist with apple care for around $1,000. Good luck.

10. ILMSTMF thread starter macrumors newbie

I finally determined the model...late 06 15" 2.16 Core 2 Duo. I got the machine in front of me to test. No startup tone, power up and quiet fan noise after initial optical drive mechanical noise.

Reset the SMU, nothing. Tried resetting PRAM, nothing.

Didn't have a small enough screwdriver to see if the RAM wasn't sitting right. But I doubt that's the problem. In this case, a local computer repair shop quoted a new logic board at $500 + ~$300 for labor. It's truly sad that this machine is fried within 3 years of its purchase so we figure...why pay to repair it if something better can be had for the same price or slightly higher?

In the meantime, I'm trying to talk them into a desktop iMac which would get even more bang for the buck. We'll see.

Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated.

11. Secundinius macrumors newbie

How important is portability to them? If they don't *really* need to travel around with it and it's something they will be using at home anyway, an iMac might be a better overall option.

I compared both the MBP and 24" iMac and both configured to my liking the iMac was about $500 less. Now I am speaking of brand new for both. I know they sell refurb'd MB/MBP's, but not sure if they sell refurb'd iMacs (to me it would make sense that they do, but I've never checked personally).

IMO, It's a very viable option if they can go without the portability.

12. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

also, you can sell it as is and make some money to get a better machine

13. Shiner macrumors 6502

Well do not fix the old laptop for anything over $400. Do you have a spare hard drive. Might want to try that. Every time I have come across one of my friends or work apple computers that is "fried" it always turns out to be the hard drive. The repair shops need business and it is easy to tell someone that the logic board is dead, you probably will not argue with it. Try to boot off another hard drive.

The $1,000 budget is too low to go near apple if you want an upgrade and 17". The imac is an option but really it is just a mac mini with a screen in the low end of the imac line. Integrated graphics just like the mac mini and a somewhat faster processor is all you are going to get in that price range. I would just buy a mac mini and a new screen. That is basically a poor mans mac. Unfortunately, mac does not offer a computer that meets your needs at your price range. I always advise against an imac. They simply are not worth the money for the hardware you get.

14. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Get the new 13in MBP. Its $1200 and if you are a students its $1100 with a free ipod!

15. james1078b macrumors newbie

Boot Disk

Do you have a Techtool Bootdisk? It doesn't sound like you have tried or been able to boot from optical?

BTW - feel free to sent your paper wieght my direction!! I love to tinker and fix!!!!!!!!!!;):apple:

16. Shiner macrumors 6502

I was thinking of this same advice but it is only a 13" screen. It would be better than what they currently have.

17. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Have you tried a local apple store or calling Apple up?
    Since it's late '06 it may either still in the 3yr nvidia problem warranty or just out(but they might be nice and still help).

18. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The newer 09 2.0 white MB is only $749 as an Apple refurb - when it's available.

Cheers,