Late '06 Mac Pro w/ Leopard Shutdown & Sleep Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by anthonyjr, Mar 24, 2008.

1. anthonyjr macrumors member

anthonyjr

I recently did a clean install of Leopard on a brand new hard drive for my Late '06 mac pro. I currently have all updates installed, and the system is running very fast and very stable. But!

I've been experiencing two problems over the week I've had Leopard installed, and I would just like to know if other MP users are sharing these as well...

1. Half the time I wake the computer from sleep, the fans blast off for about 10 seconds before the desktop is shown. Sometimes when the computer goes to sleep, via Energy Saver, my hard drives keep spinning.

2. Shut down takes an excruciatingly long time. My typical shut down lasts around a minute to a minute and a half.

I've read around and have seen a few problems like this, but I want to know if there are a larger majority of people with a Mac Pro who are experiencing either of these in Leopard.

It's not such a nuisance, being I don't have to wait for shut down and I can wait around a few seconds when waking up the computer. Though, here's to hoping 10.5.3 or a firmware update can fix these two issues!

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I have the fans blast on startup, and they spin up a little when I wake it, but nothing like when I first start up the computer. Shut down? It's not too long for me, maybe 30-40 seconds. Though I don't shut down the computer that often.

3. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I've had my new Mac Pro for a week and I too have noticed that after I wake it up, the fans blast off for about 10 seconds. I'm not sure if it's supposed to do that or not. I'm just glad that it's not rebooting like some other people are complaining about.

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Back with my own little update…

Yes, there is a short period of time where the fans rev up when I wake the computer from sleep, but it quickly stops, so it's nothing unusual.