Late 06 MBP Memory Upgrade (3GB MAX)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by billandy, Oct 26, 2008.

1. billandy macrumors regular

hi!

I'm thinking of bumping up my total memory to 3GB maximum for the particular 17-inch 2.33GHz model from the 2GB factory standard, since I do have to fire up Windows several times a week for a hardware design software and 1GB of RAM is now being allocated to it.

However I often hear people around say that having two different memories in the same machine would compromise stability, therefore I wonder to what extent that claim is true and whether it's really worth for me replacing a 1GB RAM for new 2GB unit?

thanks a lot!

2. cogmission macrumors newbie

I've read several posts that indicate that you shouldn't have a stability problem, but you will lose the "dual channel" ability due to memory modules of different sizes. I don't really know what the implications behind losing that ability are, except I would guess maybe a loss of speed?

3. sfh macrumors regular

it is best to have the same speed and quality of memory installed . You can test the new ram with tech tool to see if it matches up. Being that you have to put in a 2gb and a 1 gb stick there is no way to get a "pair" that is perfectly matched

4. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Or you could go 4GB stuck in. Your 2.33 (I had the exact same model, only 15") can read up to 3.3GB

5. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! wow do you work at a memory factory? 32 gb for your mac pro? that can almost buy a house these days!