Late '08 15" MacBook Pro vs Current 13" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macandipodfan, Jan 5, 2011.

1. macandipodfan macrumors member

I can pick up a used 15" MacBook Pro with some Applecare still on it, or a brand new 13" MacBook Pro, both for around $1000.
    So I'm basically wondering which would be better for running applications like Final Cut Express, After Effects, etc. The Apple rep told me that the 320m is faster than the 9400m + 9600m GT, but I'm inclined not to believe him, since the benchmarks show otherwise. However, maybe the newer processor in the 13" outweighs the graphics difference? :confused:

2. DudeMartin macrumors regular

If the graphics are great and the processor isn't as good, then the bottleneck is the processor, which sort of cancels out the purpose of having great graphics if the processor can't handle them. However, if the size does matter to you (and I think size would definitely matter for media editing), I would suggest the 15". Plus the AppleCare is a nice bonus.

I would say go with the 15", but would you be kind enough to post specs?

3. macandipodfan thread starter macrumors member

They're both 2.4GHz - specifically the MB470LL/A and MC374LL/A.

4. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

The 9600 Will be a bit more powerful than the 320M. Go with the 15".

5. DudeMartin macrumors regular

The '08 15" looks more powerful, then. The backdraw to this is that it is likely to have a lower battery life (because the 9600M GT is more powerful than the 320M), and 15 inches is bigger than 13 inches.

So, if you don't really need high-mobility and will likely have the computer plugged in, go with the 15". If you are planning to take it to places, use it on your lap (as the 15" will heat up more, as well), then buy the 13".

6. macandipodfan thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, portability isn't really important. The heat might be somewhat of an issue, but I think I can't manage. Thanks guys!