Late 08 ALU macbook RAM Upgrade.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SOLLERBOY, Sep 20, 2010.

1. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Hi, I have a late 08 Alu Macbook that iv'e been using for some quite intensive tasks.

When I bought it (Dec 08) I was just going to use it for some note taking at college and stuff like that. As time progressed I needed to for flash/illustrator/photoshop on the go which it handled but recently the need has arisen to use it for intense photoshop and aperture work.

I use my i5 imac for heavy lifting when at home but I need something portable for on the road or at university. My macbook was fine until I installed aperture 3 which brings the whole system to a halt.

I have come to the assumption that I need to upgrade my 2GB RAM but my question is, will 4GB me enough? Does anyone have any experience with this laptop 4GB RAM and aperture 3??

I know that aperture can sometimes really push my imac to the limit in terms of RAM and that has 8GB.

Thanks.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd recommend 6GB. It's possible to get 8, but not all brands work, and it's a crapshoot at best. 4 may work, but it is quite possible that you will want more

3. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

6 with a 4 and a 2?

I thought the max was 4?

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

So says apple. But OWC and many other people have had success with running 6. I have seen a few people get 8, but it seems to be hit or miss. 6 will definitely work (4GB and 2GB), so I'd go with that.