Late '08 Alu MacBook - Replacing Internal HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by KGator, Aug 30, 2010.

1. KGator macrumors newbie

Hi! This is my first post here, and in advance I'd like to thank you guys here at MacRumors for all the help you've (unknowingly) given me in the past; you guys are awesome!

So, my hard drive is failing, and said something about internal node something-or-other in Disk Utility. I borrowed Diskwarrior from my friend, it created a new directory but couldn't replace because-

"The new directory cannot replace the original directory because of a disk malfunction. A disk malfunction is a failure of or damage to any mechanical component of the disk devices or any component connected to it. The malfunction will likely worsen. Therefore, recovering your files from the DiskWarrior Preview as quickly as possible is essential."

Which, heh, was nice to know. The computer is still working, with nothing noticeable, but.. I was wondering about replacing my hard drive. I have a late 2008 Aluminum Unibody 13-inch 2.0 Ghz 160GB MacBook (no modifications/additions made since I bought it). After researching, this looks like the best one to me (but I'm not sure, I'm not really a hardware guy) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374

If there's a better one, or some miracle fix to my HDD (which, even if there was, I might replace anyway; I'd enjoy more room and it'd be great for Boot Camp), please let me know!

On a side note, I was wondering about upgrading RAM as well (I only have the standard 2GB). I found this - http://www.datamemorysystems.com/_memory-information/DM50_222.asp - but I was wondering if this was the best, or if it would be cheaper/more efficient to buy and use two 1GB sticks instead (maybe buying them from newegg as well, to save money, but I'm not sure what to buy from there).

Thanks! -KGator

P.S. I started finding all this out (the failing HDD) because I went to partition my drive to use Boot Camp, and it didn't work. If I remember correctly, wasn't there a problem with Windows and extra RAM, or has that been resolved?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, that HD will work. Remember that it's 7200rpm while your current is 5400rpm so don't be surprised if it's noisier or causes vibration or shorter battery life. However, it's faster which is always nice.

RAM you need: NewEgg or OWC

3. KGator thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool! And, maybe I'd heard wrong, but is 6GB total compatible with the MacBook, or 6GB is relativley equivalent of 4GB or something? I think I remember reading something a long time ago..

If that were the case (or even if I don't need the whole 6GB), would this work as well?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146683

Would it be all good with Boot Camp, etc?

Also, you're awesome. Jussayin'. :D

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, 6GB works. That RAM won't work as it's wrong type (you need DDR3) and your Mac only has two memory slots so if you want 6GB, you need to get one 4GB module and one 2GB module. For example this and this or simply this

5. KGator thread starter macrumors newbie

Ooh, I'm an idoit. Okay, thank you very much! All my problems solved. :)

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

One suggestion I have is to check out the WD Scorpio Black 500GB or the Hitachi 7k500, as I have heard a few sketchy things about the Seagate drives. Personally, I have the 320GB version of the WD (got it before the 500 came out), and I love it. It's quiet, doesn't cause a whole lot more vibration, fast, and I think I actually get better battery life with it than my old hard drive.

Check this out for the WD

I can't seem to find the hitachi on newegg anymore for some reason though

7. KGator thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright; it's only $5 more, it's got a recommendation from an owner on here, and a 5 year warranty -- thanks! Any other things you want to add? I can use all the help I can get, lol.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

haha, well I upgraded the RAM in mine as well, and I got 4GB of crucial, and it is plenty for me, and works perfectly. I'm not sure if you do anything that uses enough memory to need the 6GB, if you don't I'd just stick with 4, it's considerably cheaper, and is plenty for most applications. Also, with boot camp, you will have to install a 64-bit version of windows to be able to use any RAM more than 3 or 3.5GB, and that requires a couple tricks, as apple doesn't officially support boot camp x64 on the MacBook. I did that, with some guidance from another thread on the forum, and it works perfectly.

9. KGator thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, sounds good. I don't do anything that should need 6GB, lol, so I'll stick with the 4.

If install the 32-bit Windows, does it use the maximum amount possible (3.5), or what? Because 3.5GB would be fine, I just want to run some games on Steam mostly.