Late 08 Aluminum life span

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Montymitch, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

I'm, umm, bored.
    When I bought my first laptop, it was an HP pavilion something or other. It lasted 2 years, cracked, slowed to a crawl, turned into a dinosaur and went extinct.
    I bought my first MacBook, worshipped at the alter of the aluminum unibody and trackpad, and haven't looked back.
    It's now 2012 and I'd like to move forward. I've maxed out my ram, installed an SSD, upgraded to Lion. It seems like there is nowhere to go from here. I could upgrade to a MBP, but for my uses, there is little need and it has the exact same form factor. I like the Air, but the ram is not upgradeable and I'm not excited about being locked in like that.
    I know this is the stupidest complaint ever. My laptop works better than the day I bought it and I have no need to upgrade. I'm just bored with it and want some of the old excitement back. Anyone else in this ship?

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Two Words for you:
    Power. Book.

Find an old one and play with it.

3. Dav1boy macrumors member

sometimes i think i need a new machine. when in actuality my current one runs plenty fast and i have everything on it i.e music, photos etc... (also backed up of course). and since it accommodates all my needs i don't feel or have the urge to upgrade it but instead I've gone ahead and started adding to it. like getting an external monitor, bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse. now when I'm at home at the desk, it feels like more of a desktop than lappy. an iMac if you will. just having a bigger display changes the "feel" of your setup quite a bit.

4. Djhyper66 macrumors newbie

you not done modding it!!!!!!!!!!

buy one of those kits, take out the DVD drive and install a second hard drive in ur laptop!!!! Run 2 of them!!!!

WIth the DVD drive out, they sell a kit to put it in and it play when plug into the USB spot!!!

After you do that you macbook is officially done!!!

5. Montymitch thread starter macrumors regular

Montymitch

Such enthusiasm!
    I've considered this, but I use a number of different computers regularly, so most of my storage is external.
    I do like the idea of a monitor--That would freshen things up a bit!