Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KilljoyPBN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Im pretty sure Incase isn't doing a redesign for their soft cases and they are working on their hard cases.

Does anyone know of a company that is making cases for the new ones? The dimensions are different so I wanted a purpose built one.

I might just go with incase soft case if no one mentions anything. From some reviews I have heard they aren't very good width wise and they have spare room depth wise.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I carry mine in an Incase Nylon Sleeve plus, and it fits fine. It's not 100% snug, but it fits more than well enough. It's easy to get in and out, and it's snug enough it won't rock around too much or be damaged if hit on the back or sides (well, to a point of course. You get the idea)

Kane.Elson

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
Booq!
Booq are releasing the Taipan Skin M which is a neoprene soft case like the incase sleeve and the Vyper M3 which is a nylon harder case for more protection. Both specially designed for the new MBP and slated for a 25th november release, I am waiting...

Edit: You will find that pretty much any case not specifically designed for the new MBP will be too short width wise, most important when dealing with hard cases but still annoying for soft cases. They will also be deeper which means room to move and bump around so I would definitily wait for the booq or anything else you may find specifically designed for the new model.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
I have mine in a Zeroshock III sleeve. It's a bit loose because the MBP is too thin for the case, but it's easy to get out and secure enough for me.

KilljoyPBN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Wow thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I have to do some research and shopping now.

thepseudophone

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Are there any soft cases out made specifically for the new MBP, or are most of the companies expecting their models for the old MBP to fit correctly?

KSpider

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2006
San Diego, CA
Are there any soft cases out made specifically for the new MBP, or are most of the companies expecting their models for the old MBP to fit correctly?

i highly doubt anything is out for the new models yet, R&D and distribution takes a while...

I am picking up an incase neoprene sleeve tonight for my mbp, to protect it until I can get a hard case... though, i dont think my mbp will be leaving the house much until then.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
Just wanted to add a vote for the Incase Nylon Sleeve Plus. I received one as a freebie today from Apple as they completely screwed up my recent MBP order. I was worried when I first received it that it would be too small, but it's an excellent fit. In fact I had to pull the case from the bottom whilst holding the MBP to remove it - it's that snug.

Of course this case isn't going to protect your MBP if you plan to throw it around :D but it's more than adequate for daily trips to/from the office, etc. I think it's ideal if you plan to travel light and just carry your MBP, charger, mouse, etc. given the extra pockets on one side and 'pouch' on the other.

charlieg

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2006
I just picked up a Brenthaven Eclipse II sleeve for my son's new MBP and the fit is quite good. I checked with Brenthaven before placing my order and they confirmed it would fit. He only needed something to make carrying it in his backpack a bit safer and this should work perfectly for that. Got it from Abt for $29 delivered.

MacPil0T

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
Sleeves to Hard Briefcases..

For soft sleeves I prefer AppleSac

http://www.applesac.com/

I actually emailed them and they said the new macbook and macbook pro dimensions actually feel better in their sleeves now than before. I guess before they were slightly tight.

For hard case/travel case I prefer booq, I also prefer them for hard sleeves. They have a nice tool for finding bags, etc that will fit the notebook you are using.

http://www.booqbags.com/

Hope that helps!

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Anyone aware of a skin-tight model? I was using a Mountainsmith ginormous fannypack-like-thing and a waterfield sleeve for my "old" MBP and it was a cram to get it in. I'd like to not have to work quite so hard and still keep the Mountainsmith bag.

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Those Applesacs are awesome. I'm a big fan of hemp's sustainability. Polyester isn't renewable, but at least it's recyclable (though I doubt that ever happens).

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
Booq!
Booq are releasing the Taipan Skin M which is a neoprene soft case like the incase sleeve and the Vyper M3 which is a nylon harder case for more protection. Both specially designed for the new MBP and slated for a 25th november release, I am waiting...

Edit: You will find that pretty much any case not specifically designed for the new MBP will be too short width wise, most important when dealing with hard cases but still annoying for soft cases. They will also be deeper which means room to move and bump around so I would definitily wait for the booq or anything else you may find specifically designed for the new model.

Sorry to burst your bubble here but that product was designed for the Oldbook Pro not the unibody. Trust me, I love Booq (I own the Folee bag) and contacted them about this. They make these things for the MBP and PCs so its a bit more generic than you might think. The reply I got said it *will* fit the new MBP but its a "snug" fit. There's no way they're going to overhaul this bag again since there's tones of old models still out there and they want it to fit PCs as well. They're mentioning the "new MacBook Pro" because its marketing and it fits, no where do they say it was designed for it.

Here's the image w/ the old MBP in it.
TSK-BLK2l.jpg

Why do Booq products always make me think of Halloween? =)

I decided to give the Incase neoprene bag a shot and have already ordered it.
I'm not too worried about a little bit of movement inside, there's nothing thats going to scratch it and its not like its going to be flopping around. I've heard its snug on the sides which is the most important when carrying it....the extra room is only at the top. I'm just going to use it for quick trips when I don't need cables & other extras....then I don't have to haul the big Booq bag around. :)

MacPil0T

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
Sorry to burst your bubble here but that product was designed for the Oldbook Pro not the unibody. Trust me, I love Booq (I own the Folee bag) and contacted them about this. They make these things for the MBP and PCs so its a bit more generic than you might think. The reply I got said it *will* fit the new MBP but its a "snug" fit. There's no way they're going to overhaul this bag again since there's tones of old models still out there and they want it to fit PCs as well. They're mentioning the "new MacBook Pro" because its marketing and it fits, no where do they say it was designed for it.

Here's the image w/ the old MBP in it.
TSK-BLK2l.jpg

Why do Booq products always make me think of Halloween? =)

I decided to give the Incase neoprene bag a shot and have already ordered it.
I'm not too worried about a little bit of movement inside, there's nothing thats going to scratch it and its not like its going to be flopping around. I've heard its snug on the sides which is the most important when carrying it....the extra room is only at the top. I'm just going to use it for quick trips when I don't need cables & other extras....then I don't have to haul the big Booq bag around. :)

That booq sleeve is indeed some what generic but booq is offering the hard case Vyper M3 he refers to in an updated version specifically for the new MacBook Pro, as I'm ordering one next week. You can look at the internal dimensions, they are exact same as the new MacBook Pros.

firesong

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
I got a case from Fabrix. It's a Singaporean company that was very quick to market the revised cases. I've actually been using a case by them for almost 2 weeks now.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
i got the incase neoprene plus sleeve for me new mbp, it fits just fine.. i know incase and speck will have the hardshell cases for the new macbooks out on december.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
Be careful with the Timbuk2 cases with the unibody MBP. I bought one of their briefcases for my older PB and find it is a very tight fit for the new model 15".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.