Late 08 Macbook Pro Keyboard Backlight Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ppilone, Nov 10, 2008.

1. ppilone macrumors 6502

Quick question about the backlight for the new Macbook Pro (I'm coming from an older Blackbook so I'm not familiar with the backlit keyboard).

I can't seem to get the "Illuminate in low light conditions" to actually work. Either the backlight is on or off. I make sure that check box is checked in system preferences which turns the backlight on. If its dark in the room (backlight on) and I turn the lights on the screen brightness adjusts correctly but the keyboard stays backlit. If I manually turn down the brightness of the keyboard the backlight never turns on unless I manually turn it up.

At first I just thought this is how its supposed to happen - but I've noticed on random occasions (after a restart or such) that I can't manually turn on the backlight if the lights are on but once the room goes dark the backlight turns on (how I imagine its supposed to happen).

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Am I just assuming the "Illuminate in low light conditions" works differently than I expect it to?

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

If the light sensor decides the backlight should be off, you cannot manually override it. The lights are just locked off.

If you disable automatic backlighting, but then activate it manually using F6 in a dark room, it will re-enable automatic backlighting.

If the box is checked, and it senses the light go down, it will light up the keyboard. The darker it is, the dimmer it lights it. When the room lights come back up, the keyboard will switch off automatically

The best way to test it is to take the machine into a room with no windows (or at night), and turn on the lights in the room. The screen should glow fairly brightly. Now, turn off the lights. The screen should dim, and the keyboard lights will come up. That's how it works on mine.

3. ppilone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats how I imagine it should work but...

I just tested it out again - With the lights fully on in the room I manually turn the keyboard backlight to its lowest setting (one above off). When I turn the lights in the room off the screen dims and the keyboard stays at the same brightness. When I turn the lights back on the screen returns to full brightness and the keyboard is also at full brightness (I would think it should turn down/off).

I know this may seem trivial but I'm getting the feeling my backlight isn't working and it was an exciting step up from the Macbook.

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I've had my new MBP for some weeks and my keyboard backlight stopped working too ! Untill 5 mins ago, I could turn it on/off even in day light but it shut down suddenly showing the "Ø" sign.

When I go to a darker room it works. But why the hell it has been working until now ? I mean I'm using the MBP on the exact same place on my desk before going to work so the light conditions didn't change.

Tex

5. benmortimer macrumors newbie

Same issue

I have a late 08 Macbook Pro and the keyboard light was totally controllable until about 3 days ago. I could bring it up and down just like the screen brightness & sound volume. now f5 and f6 just give me the keylight icon but with the score through the zero and I can't adjust them manually.

They do still work automatically in a dark room but it shouldn't be up to my macbook to decide whether i should have my keyboard lit and nor was it originally.

6. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

7. benmortimer macrumors newbie

well you've nailed sarcasm, do you also know how to merge threads??

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

9. mrhendo macrumors newbie

Fixed!

If you cannot adjust the backlight using F6 (and a circle with a slash through it comes up under the backlight symbol), put your finger over the camera then turn up backlight.

I realised that if you have the backlight off and then you move somewhere bright, you cannot adjust the keyboard backlight. A little too clever.

10. rohit6060 macrumors member

Hey,
    I m using the 2011 MBP and m facing similar issue...
    Did u find a solution to your problem?
    PLZ PM me as its very difficult to track down such old threads...

11. stmichelle macrumors newbie

backlit keyboard/ backlight / back light keyboard

MacBook Air 2010

Backlit keyboard works fine in a dim/ dark room, but the Air overrides the backlit keyboard in a bright room, and will not work with the F5/ F6 buttons.

To outsmart your computer, PLACE A POST-IT NOTE OVER THE CAMERA. Your keyboard will light and your screen will dim, just manually control them.

It is the 5 cent solution...

St. Michelle