Late 08 macbook pro won't boot from dvd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klooney, Dec 30, 2008.

1. klooney macrumors regular

I've had a lot of problems with my macbook pro not wanting to boot from a dvd, it recognizes the dvds are there and reads it but doesn't actually boot the dvd. It doesn't matter if I hold c or not it still won't boot it.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

You mean the restore disc?

If it's a generic Leopard disc, it won't boot from it unless it has 10.5.6, previous versions lacked some of the drivers for the new machines.

3. klooney thread starter macrumors regular

retail disks, drive genius to name a few won't boot.

4. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

I thought the 10.5.6 update only came two weeks ago and that the version shipped with unibody MBPs is 10.5.5.

Anyway, if holding C during startup doesn't work, have you tried holding Option + Command + Shift + Delete? LOL I know that's a lot of keys but it should bypass primary startup volume and seek a different startup volume (such as a CD or external disk).

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Does that still work on non-SCSI Macs?

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It is. The version of 10.5.5 that ships with the Unibody machines is a special build, it's different from the normal one everyone has, that is on the retail discs. 10.5.6 brought them in with the rest of the line, so if the disc is 10.5.6, the special build isn't required.

7. klooney thread starter macrumors regular

couldn't get the option + cmd + shift + del to work. It reads the dvd when it boots up for about a minutes to 2 mins then the computer restarts. I wonder if its an OS issue or drive issue

8. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

As everyone has already said, unless the disc in question is the machine specific restore disc the machine came with which has effectively 10.5.5.5 on it as its not the standard 10.5.5, but one with some newer drives and app versions, or one with 10.5.6 on it, it will not boot it.

9. klooney thread starter macrumors regular

The whole thing is its just not the restore disk its every disk I try to boot from!

10. hompsar macrumors newbie

hompsar

Same here. The disk that came with my Mac Pro does not boot. Leopard does not boot. Snow Leopard does not boot. Everything freezes. I am very concerned...