Late '08 MBP 9400m Flicker fixed by Logic Board Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrXiro, Apr 9, 2011.

1. MrXiro, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I did a search never actually found a post that actually stated that a fix worked.

Well I took my MBP Late 08 to Apple and they took care of it for me for free!

They replaced the logic board as they did with many others and mine has been working flawless!

So those who got theirs fixed and still had the issue they must have been replaced with faulty logic boards as well. I saw more often than not that people said their fix didn't take.

I wanted to let those of you who were sitting and worried about the problem like I had been that there IS a solution!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't think anyone doubted that this could easily be done with a logic board swap.

3. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I saw many posts stating that after a logic board swap they still had the flicker or that it was was worse... on both these forums and the one on Apple's site. Googled and couldn't find a single thing about if and what the "fix" for the flicker was. So I figured I'd post this up so if anyone does do a search like I did they'd find that at least it worked for me.

It seemed hopeless and a waste of time for me to bring it to Apple to have them fix it cause I kept thinking it was wrong. My biggest worry was that I was going to pay the 310 dollars to get it fixed to find that it didn't get fixed.

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Do you still have AppleCare? Did they replace anything else?

5. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I don't have applecare and they did replace my optical drive as well... but that was cause it was crapping out.

6. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

Is this the first time you've had it worked on by Apple, or did you have the problem before and take it in because it was reoccurring?

7. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

This my very first time going to the genius bar, well 2nd the first time was a week prior to get my battery replaced. But it's not my first Mac/Apple Product. I've owned an iMac, Macbook White, 4 different kinds of iPods in the past. All I've done previously is call in.

8. Jottle macrumors 6502

MrXiro: did you have the:

1. flickering screen issue where the screen blanks out for a second (or part of the screen blanks out/goes black).

2. Or did you have the issue where the screen would dim down one notch and then go back to the original brightness level immediately. This happens randomly and quickly.

3. Or did you have the issue where the backlight would pulsate rapidly when the screen brightness is set to low?

These are three separate issues. Few have been able to fix issue 1. I have issue 2. And there are many that have issue 3.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Well there wouldn't be any other "fix". If it was software, Apple would've released a patch. The only other option would be a logic board swap. And even if it didn't fix it, that means that logic board is also bad (it happens) and you would keep going back to Apple to fix it.

10. MrXiro, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Issue 1, which is why I decided to post this. Mine was fixed! There haven't been any posts I could find that said this was solved with a Logic Board Swap. Some even said it was a monitor issue...

What iLog.Genius doesn't seem to get is that there is a 200+ page forum post at apple.com along with many other posts on the same issue with people not knowing what the fix is. Some think it is software. Many have had the logic board replaced just to have the flicker still be there. I had mine replaced and it seems to be fixed. Let's see how it is in a few weeks. It's possible the flicker may come back. But as of right now it's working perfect!

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I understand that. If they don't know enough to call Apple about it, then that's their problem. The fix was always there, you have faulty hardware? The fix is to replace that specific hardware, in this case it has to be the logic board. And this whole thing about software vs. hardware? When this was first an issue, you could debate it but it's been 3 years now, it's clearly not software. And it doesn't matter if the thread had 1000+ posts. Most of them are probably posts that state that they have the same problem. I'm not going to argue with you and I'm glad that you have a fixed MacBook Pro but your post comes off like you found a fix that wasn't known. At the end of the day, you had a hardware problem. There's really no need to troubleshoot. It goes back to Apple to get it fixed.

12. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

And again the point of the post is just to inform those who continue to argue over it. Especially since most of us are out of warranty and don't want to bring it in. I've called Apple before. They claim the problem doesn't even exist and walk me through 30 minutes of solutions that don't work.

There has been no post that claims that the logic board replacement works... but plenty that it doesn't. At least this way someone will see this post and realize that taking it in IS the only solution. Why does the fact that I post this to inform people bother you so much?

The title of this post is "Late '08 MBP 9400m Flicker fixed by Apple!" not trouble shooting fixed my mbp. Apple fixed it... what sounds erroneous about that?

13. DasCrushinator macrumors newbie

I personally have issues 1 and 2. I just received my computer today from the Apple Repair Depot (Memphis, TN). It still has the flickering issue. In the past 3 weeks, it is been with the Apple Repair Depot 2 times (about 2 weeks) for this issue. Logic board has been replaced twice and the (damn, it just flickered again :\) display has been replaced once. An Apple Rep is (lol, just did it again) is supposed to be calling me on Monday to discuss what we can do from there (there's the third time).

You guys who have had your logic board replaced and it fixed the issue: was it something that happened very often? As you can see, while typing this reply it has happened 3 times to me (there goes number 4 and 5 back to back).

14. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I have issue 1 as well. I am debating whether to send it in or not. I would have a really hard time living without my MBP for a week, especially if it doesn't fix the problem. 2 and a half years with this MBP, and this is the only problem I've had, to me it's not too big of a deal because I usually use the 9600, anyway. But if there is a fix, I'd like to know. So, OP, please keep us posted.

15. MrXiro, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Mine is still working perfectly fine. More details the note that the Genius put on the work order goes as follows... hope this helps.

" Issue: Intermittent Flickering Screen,
    Steps to reproduce: Unit has the issue described article TS3562. Will only flicker when using "Better Battery Life" mode."

I doubt if this will help... but TS3562 is an internal forum/article reference number that only Apple employees have access to. Give them that number to look up the issue and put on your work order.

Shouldn't they be testing your MBP before sending it back to you?

As iLog.Genius stated... keep bringing it back until they are able to fix it. If they can't maybe they'll replace it.